Thread: Assistance with Variable NDs for Komodo - Which Variable filters do you recommend ?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Assistance with Variable NDs for Komodo - Which Variable filters do you recommend ? 
    Hey everyone,

Looking into Variable NDs for the Komodo. I know of the Canon RF Variable ND adapter, which looks great. Only thing I don't know about it is how many stops can the filter cut. Any one know the answer? The only issues the adapter seems to have is, ND stop labeling on the wheel, you need a clear filter, and it has a blue tint at the darkest stop.

Has anybody tested or used these variable ND filters?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ND_Filter.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ptv_mc_nd.html

Any recommendations on your experiences would be great for the camera. Thank you for your help. Stay safe and healthy .

Best Regards,

Nick
    Motion Pictures and Film Professional

So since no one really helped out, I did more hunting. Looks like the Schndeider filter is 8-9 stops, rather than 11. The B&W is 5 stops. The RF adapter is 9. So at that point the Canon RF adapter is the better variable nd filter for ef lenses. Less color shift (mostly happens in the extreme end), no x pattern in the far end, 9 stops, goes behind the lens, which is better for flares. Hope that helps some people down the road. Not sure how to close the thread. So I would just close it, if no one comments. Stay well.

Best,

Nick

There are lots of old threads on variable NDs.
    I ended getting the Schneider 77mm True-Match Vari-ND, after getting recommendations here. It works fine for me, but I haven't really compared it to anything else.
    Last I heard, people were speaking highly of the Tiffen.
    Filmmaker, Actor
    Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube
    Epic-X Dragon #08468 | Sigma Art 35/1.4, 50/1.4, Rokinon 85/1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Akin A View Post
    There are lots of old threads on variable NDs.
    I ended getting the Schneider 77mm True-Match Vari-ND, after getting recommendations here. It works fine for me, but I haven't really compared it to anything else.
    Last I heard, people were speaking highly of the Tiffen.
    Thanks for your input! Wanted to see if there was anything new in the Variable ND world for Komodo. Used to have the Tiffen years ago. I think the Schneider you got is definitely better. It might possibly be the best screw on variable nd filter from comparisons I have seen over the years. Most likely going to get the Canon RF adapter with the internal variable nd filters and for higher paying jobs rent a matte box and a set of full spectrum ND.

Nick, Thanks for this discussion. It's worth noting that the Canon drop-in VariND by itself is $360, or it comes with the drop-in Ef>Rf adapter for $400 total. Seems like the Ef adapter to get, unless you prefer the exposure control ring.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...f_rf_with.html

Variable NDs are two polarizing filters sandwiched together. If you are one person in a one-person crew and have 50 shots to get before lunch then perhaps they can be beneficial. If however you care at all about image quality, color shift, EQ, skin tones, etc my recommendation is to avoid them like the plague.
    Adrian Jebef
    DIT
    www.jebefcorp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Jebef View Post
    Variable NDs are two polarizing filters sandwiched together. If you are one person in a one-person crew and have 50 shots to get before lunch then perhaps they can be beneficial. If however you care at all about image quality, color shift, EQ, skin tones, etc my recommendation is to avoid them like the plague.
    What would you use instead with the komodo? ND filters 4X5.65in on matte box?

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo Lamarre View Post
    What would you use instead with the komodo? ND filters 4X5.65in on matte box?
    Generally my advice is to always go Panavision Sized 4x5.65" NDs and filters in general. They can serve you a lifetime if well cared for.

However, if you have the means and are focused on staying small. 4x4 NDs to work on smaller lenses. And some lenses do have threads. And these days there's even magnetic ND filters.

To set you up for success for all cameras, go 4x5.65" and build from there.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Generally my advice is to always go Panavision Sized 4x5.65" NDs and filters in general. They can serve you a lifetime if well cared for.

However, if you have the means and are focused on staying small. 4x4 NDs to work on smaller lenses. And some lenses do have threads. And these days there's even magnetic ND filters.

To set you up for success for all cameras, go 4x5.65" and build from there.

Thanks for the knowledge Phil! I am looking at the 4X5.65" Arri or True ND. But yea, will definitely go that size to have a long lasting investment. The Arri's are not cheap!

Stay away from VariND. Too many annoying issues with color casts and whatnot.

I used to use 4x4 filters to keep things compact but now I've moved to 82mm screw on (with stepUp rings if necessary) to keep things even more slim. That's what I would use if I was getting a Komodo.