Thread: The First Komodo Out in the Wild

Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    Camera's got 4.4 micron pixels (27.03mm sensor width/6144 pixels) so 4K would be 4096 * (27.03/6144) = 18.02mm wide and 2K would be 2048 * (27.03/6144) = 9.01mm wide. m4/3 is 18mm wide so bang on for 4K. Regular 16mm is 10.26mm wide so 2K is just a smidge smaller.

You can go the other way and calculate a theoretical extraction's resolution. Here's Super 16: 12.52mm * (6144/27.03) = 2.8K.
    Well, thanks that's awesome information :)
    VIDEO EDITING - COLOR GRADING - VFX
    APPLE FINAL CUT PRO, AVID MEDIA COMPOSER
    ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD, DAVINCI RESOLVE, REDCINE X PRO...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    In terms of things that can lead to audio delays, in this case this is a hard line 3.5mm signal straight from a Sound Devices MixPre 10 II. Adding wireless signal delivery into the mix can possibly add some delay, but hard lined should be dead on, which is actually what I was testing here.

The scratch mics on the camera are decent btw, but you like always, will likely enjoy the sound out of true and good microphones and perhaps an advanced recording solution. For instance, though I was ridiculed early for experimenting with 32-bit audio workflows via the field recorders, I now know several productions exploring that as their pipeline. Tech is evolving honestly, even in sound. But generally it's been a much slower world of advancement in that world compared to fiery forge of camera advancements.

I think so too, that it gives such an impression through another sound source

Nie ma problemu, stary! Ok, rozumiem co mówisz. Uważam, że dźwięk nie został zarejestrowany w aparacie. Phil Holland może to lepiej wyjaśnić. Mówił jednak o tym w poście # 238.

I think what Phil said makes sense. :)
    Phil Glowskey - Producer of Music Video - Poland
    RED Camera User

Just upscaled the 6k file (Phil's) to 8k and it looked great. Not that 8K is a mainstream deliverable (yet) but good to know it can be done with ease.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stanley View Post
    Just upscaled the 6k file (Phil's) to 8k and it looked great. Not that 8K is a mainstream deliverable (yet) but good to know it can be done with ease.
    Arri does upscaling since the beginning of their 4k workflow. No one seems to care.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stanley View Post
    Can I ask what is the best workflow for the upscaling process? Was always curious about this topic.
    First Light Visuals
    Adventure and Cinematography
    https://firstlightvisuals.com
    FB & IG

hello from canada..loving this komodo imput..love to see a nice housing from gates and nauticam with smaller dome canon 8.15mm type lenses,,carryon airplane size..walk through customs hassle free..our big dive show dema is now cancelled so hopefully this fall..housings wil lbe out and tested ..great work..tks from canada..jim kozmik..blue realm tv series
    Jim Kozmik
    CSC, IATSE 667, DOP, camera operator, associate producer; Blue Realm, Undersea Explorer,& Sport Diver TV series, Aquavideo REDONE housing, Nikon Optitek Prolock, Tokina 11-16mm, 105mm,
    14-24mm,50mm,available for rent, 416-705-4174 kozmikunderwater@gmail.com (Toronto,Canada)

Camera's got 4.4 micron pixels (27.03mm sensor width/6144 pixels) so 4K would be 4096 * (27.03/6144) = 18.02mm wide and 2K would be 2048 * (27.03/6144) = 9.01mm wide. m4/3 is 18mm wide so bang on for 4K. Regular 16mm is 10.26mm wide so 2K is just a smidge smaller.

You can go the other way and calculate a theoretical extraction's resolution. Here's Super 16: 12.52mm * (6144/27.03) = 2.8K.
    I look forward to using the 16mm glass from my Bolex for 2k. Will there be something like a 2.5k -2.8k mode that would work for S16/1" format glass? Bolex vignettes slightly in the corners at 1080p on some 16mm glass, 5 micron pixels.
    I have a really nice Angenieux 12-120 HEC that is my usual run and gun lens. Vignettes a bit below 20mm or so, but covers 2k 2.4:1 scope OK without vignetting.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    So first thing to know, at the moment Komodo takes about 20 seconds to boot, no biggie. As things are added and/optimized that might go up or down.
    hi Phil,

Thanks so much for your testing and all the sharing of info.

Appreciate hearing about the boot up time and be very interested to see how this tracks. This is in fact a real biggie for a lot of small crew, independent operators - in particular in reality/documentary productions.

thanks
    le VV Monstro
    and water housing

www.nalu.com.au

Aaron love these calculations.

Here's a quick preview of an 8K Komodo Sensor:

8192 * (27.03/6144) = 36.04

Notice it's EXACTLY Vista Vision. Not sure if that's a coincidence or not, but worth noting.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Aaron love these calculations.

Here's a quick preview of an 8K Komodo Sensor:

8192 * (27.03/6144) = 36.04

Notice it's EXACTLY Vista Vision. Not sure if that's a coincidence or not, but worth noting.
    Yes, I've been giddy over that since they announced the sensor size of Komodo. My brain immediately went to DSMC3 and what's theoretically possible. An 8K full frame global shutter with no cmos smear would be the perfect step up from Helium for me. I'd also love if they decided to do a "gemini" treatment on it and go for taller than 1.9:1 since several companies are now doing anamorphic for larger formats. Thinking even further into the future I would love if they just did a 10K by 10K wider-than-full-frame square canvas where you simply extract what you need from it -- essentially a multi-aspect ratio sensor with surface area to spare. But that's all a discussion for another time. :)
    Last edited by Aaron Lochert; 06-11-2020 at 09:17 PM.