Thread: I can buy only 2 anamorphic lens - which ones??

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 I can buy only 2 anamorphic lens - which ones?? 
    I have been drooling over anamorphic lens for the last couple of years.

At this point, I am looking at the Xelmus Apollo 2X, but I can afford only 2 lens.

Since I am new to anamorphics, I wonder, which 2 lens would complement for the most useful set:
    40mm + 60mm or 40mm + 100mm ?

Will be shooting mostly with S35 sensor size.

You could always start with just one Lens and add the Atlas LF extender which will give you a longer effective focal length when used in combination with your one lens.

40 + 1.6x Extender = ~65mm

https://atlaslensco.com/products/atlas-16x-lf-extender

That seems great, but I am looking at Xelmus.
    I was also looking for Atlas, but it seems their preorder time will be more than 1 year.

40mm + 75mm is probably more practical for shooting interior scenes than a 100mm but barely, it's hard to work with just two.
    David Mullen, ASC
    Los Angeles
    http://www.davidmullenasc.com

Re: Atlas.
    How about 40 + 80 + 1.6x extender? Then on the S35 sensor you have 40, ~65, 80, ~130.

Depending on what s35 camera you have I actually skip the extender. The result using a extender and cropping in on the sensor is quite equal in terms of image quality loss.

If you crop in you loose sensor resolution / get a little bit more noise.

If you use an extender then you loose exposure and ”lens resolution” / your lens becomes softer.

So its not a given whats the best option of the two. If you shoot helium for example then croping down to 6k is as I see it a better option than adding a extender if you aim for a 4k finnish.

I did a test for a client using monstro and my 40,65,100 atlas lenses shooting 8:9 2xana (final image is 16:9 anamorphic) using each lens at 8k,7k,6k 8:1 x2 ana at 10:1 compression.

The cool thing with the above is that you get a nice of 9 different FOVs out of just 3 lenses and dont have to swing lenses as much.

Another fun fact with that test... The files including a 2k prores LT proxy on the side weights about 1/3 of alexa LF open gate prores 4444.

Here is a link to tge test, not the best footage but you get the idea of the different zoom factors. The file is a prores uhd so if downloading you can inspect the difference in image quality when bumping around between the crop factors wich is not much as monstro over delivers on resolution.
    https://app.frame.io/f/290e36f6-6242...b-cff932439aa8
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    Monstro & Komodo

Björn, thanks for the great information and comparisons.

After giving it much thought, maybe I will get the 40mm + 60mm and leave the 100mm for now. Of course that range is small and I will have to get the 100mm some time in the future, but I am prone to believe, that shooting anamorphic looks cool in the wide range anyway. Even for close-ups.

So, will I get to a scene, that requires me to get a close-up portrait with the 100mm? Yeah sure, but why not take it with the 60mm and crop in, if need be. For now at least. These beasts are expensive...

Possible that the Atlas Extender works on the Xelmus - would love to try it myself. I haven't yet seen a Xelmus in person, but would like to.

Are you shooting indoor narrative? If so, you might want to test the 40mm first. You might want something wider around 24mm.

Yes, get the widest first.. you can always cropping in or use an extender to get more reach. While it's not possible the other way around.
    SCARLET-W #004760