Thread: BEST IRND FILTER

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 BEST IRND FILTER 
    Hey guys, I own a set of Schneider IRND platinum filters but find they extremely green in most situations (even at -11 on tint ) Iv heard firecrest are good? any feedback or experience would be rad!

Steven

I have a set of Nisi Nano IRND that are pretty clean and I think are pretty great for the money. Tokina or Schneider Rhodium FSND are probably your best option if you can afford it.
    DSMC2 GEMINI + STORMTROOPER KOMODO

Freiburg, Germany & Prague, Czech Republic
    The ARRI FSND filters are great. Also ARRI is one of the manufacturers that publish the wavelength transmission charts for their NDs. I wanted to do a test with several NDs in an optical lab, but had to postpone it for now. But I'm sure that most new full spectrum NDs will perform quite well.
    Glaswerk ONE & ONE+ 2x VV anamorphic lenses

www.glaswerk-optics.de

Quote Originally Posted by David Kellermann View Post
    The ARRI FSND filters are great. Also ARRI is one of the manufacturers that publish the wavelength transmission charts for their NDs. I wanted to do a test with several NDs in an optical lab, but had to postpone it for now. But I'm sure that most new full spectrum NDs will perform quite well.
    Would love to see a comparison like this as there really isn't a lot of data available on comparing ND's from top competitors and a lot of tests I do find have flawed controls and lots of external variables.

FH Firecrest ultra's which have a good reputation here on Reduser have been shown in various applications to have color shift to "Warmer" tones. I don't believe there was an issue with green or magenta tint so to speak but generally I do believe they produce a warmer image rather than "no shift in color". https://fstoppers.com/originals/fsto...ers-ive-326361

Something that really interests me is Kippertie's Revolva option for DSMC2 cameras and now Komodo as I really do think rear-mounted ND's might be the best bet for reduced issues such as reflections onto the front element of certain lenses. I almost bought Revolva 6-months ago when I got my Gemini but decided to go the old fashioned route of front mounted 4x5.65's ND's so I could use them on any camera or lens long-term and it was obviously the cheaper route at the time. With price coming down on the Revolva I may take another look at that solution but have always wondered how they fare in terms of color-shift? I also worry about integration with DSMC3 as that was another concern originally and why I shyed away from it.

Here's an r3d taken on my SW with a Nisi 1.2 and Nisi Circ Pola. You still need a -10 on the tint to bring it in, but the clarity and sharpness on the NISI filters for the price is what I care about most.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xab...ew?usp=sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Almquist View Post
    Here's an r3d taken on my SW with a Nisi 1.2 and Nisi Circ Pola. You still need a -10 on the tint to bring it in, but the clarity and sharpness on the NISI filters for the price is what I care about most.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xab...ew?usp=sharing
    Are these the newer NISI IRND filters? Mine appear pretty clean and I haven't had to go as far as -10 on tint to match shots with and without them but I will have to look closer going forward.

Yes, these are newer NiSi IRND 4x5.65 filters. The Circ Pola I used from NiSi was just the Standard version, not the Enhanced version. I looked at other tests online with the Enhanced version, and to my eye it looked like it over corrected the image too magenta. The above R3D was also taken at 3PM with lots of green grass surrounding me which could have been leaking into the lens which may have contributed to the green cast.

Cool I will have to check out the RED you posted thanks again!

Hey Folks -

Having to work with Gemini and Sigma Primes outdoors in Full Daylight sun. Tested Tiffen IR ND's against Schneider's: 1.5 - 2.1 and the IR's are significantly green.
    Does this square with everyone's experience?

I'm less concerned with IR bleed in the blacks than the overall tonal shift.

Quote Originally Posted by ERIN KORFF View Post
    Hey Folks -

Having to work with Gemini and Sigma Primes outdoors in Full Daylight sun. Tested Tiffen IR ND's against Schneider's: 1.5 - 2.1 and the IR's are significantly green.
    Does this square with everyone's experience?

I'm less concerned with IR bleed in the blacks than the overall tonal shift.
    If tied to both of these brands avoid their original IRND offerings and focus on the Tiffen NATural NDs and Schneider RHOdium FSNDs. Motion picture technology has advanced much and filtration is one of those things that has evolved massively.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon