Thread: Reviewing a lot of footage fast, where audio is still decipherable

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Reviewing a lot of footage fast, where audio is still decipherable 
    Hi,

I'm looking for a more efficient way to review footage consisting of lots of long clips (sometimes up to 30 mins each).

I have Resolve and Premiere at my disposal as well as VLC, QT player but I'm open to any program free or paid that would be more efficient.

I am not editing the footage, I simply need to review it and jot down notes. I'm trying to do it in as little steps as possible
    so i would prefer not to do string outs unless that would be quicker. Viewing the footage at higher speeds is great as long as the audio is decipherable.

So far I've been using Resolve over Premiere, because I don't want to generate audio preview files for every clip.
    In Resolve, I;m manually selecting each clip and viewing it at 2x speed, I think I could get away with 3x but Resolve automatically jumps to 4x
    and at that speed at least in Resolve, I can't decipher the audio.

Thought and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Try Lightworks. For what you want to do the free license is all you need, plus a Shuttle pro 2 for optimum efficiency. Or you can assign a set of key presses to ramp speeds. Supports Redcode well. Has excellent media management and annotation tools.
    It has the best analog style audio scrub up to 4x.
    Available for Windows, Linux, and Osx.
    If its good enough for Thelma Schoonmaker and Martin Scorsese it should be good enough for you.
    It has been my preferred NLE since the desktop version came out.
    I am currently logging and slicing up hour plus Zoom conference interviews for Scrutineers, an election security monitoring organization to use for volunteer training and educational purposes.
    https://www.lwks.com/

On a Mac the Screen app can play back RAW files pretty quick

https://videovillage.co/screen/

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    On a Mac the Screen app can play back RAW files pretty quick

https://videovillage.co/screen/

Is there a trial option, not seeing it on the site?

Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    Try Lightworks. For what you want to do the free license is all you need, plus a Shuttle pro 2 for optimum efficiency. Or you can assign a set of key presses to ramp speeds. Supports Redcode well. Has excellent media management and annotation tools.
    It has the best analog style audio scrub up to 4x.
    Available for Windows, Linux, and Osx.
    If it’s good enough for Thelma Schoonmaker and Martin Scorsese it should be good enough for you.
    It has been my preferred NLE since the desktop version came out.
    I am currently logging and slicing up hour plus Zoom conference interviews for Scrutineers, an election security monitoring organization to use for volunteer training and educational purposes.
    https://www.lwks.com/

Thanks David, just gave it a shot, simply using JKL keys.
    It doesn't list the playback speed in the logging window (like Resolve does),so is one press of the L key 2x speed, and 2 presses 4x?
    At 2 presses, I can't decipher it, total chipmunk audio. Even at 2x you get the chipmunk effect while Resolve is able to maintain the original sound of voices better.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Riggs View Post
    Thanks David, just gave it a shot, simply using JKL keys.
    It doesn't list the playback speed in the logging window (like Resolve does),so is one press of the L key 2x speed, and 2 presses 4x?
    At 2 presses, I can't decipher it, total chipmunk audio. Even at 2x you get the chipmunk effect while Resolve is able to maintain the original sound of voices better.
    What audio codec are you using? Also check the key assignments menu and try the speeds by percentage functions. Highlight the key field and press a key to assign a function.

Joe,

I believe this great video by Darren Mostyn may address your issue since you are using resolve anyway.