Thread: Komodo Battery F.A.Q.

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    The Hawk Woods batteries you linked to are Sony BP-U style batteries(14.4V). And the Kastar are Canon BP-A series style(also 14.4V). The Komodo uses Canon BP 9xx style batteries(7.4V). Completely different(both physical connection/mount and voltage).

Also, not all smallHD monitors use Canon L series. The Focus line use Sony L series. But regardless, youíre not gonna have just one type of battery to power your Komodo set-up, unless you use a Gold Mount or V-Mount on an adapter plate and also feed the monitor with a cable off of that. Iím not aware of anyone making Canon BP 9xx style batteries with built-in P-taps(You generally just see it on the 14.4V batts, but technically itís possible to, CSWX makes a 7.2V small Panasonic style battery with a P-tap and USB. Someone should probably talk to Blue Shape, since they are building licensed and chipped BP-9xx batteries, now).
    Something Iíve been confused about is Iíve read that the Komodo wants 7.4v but that the blueshape are 7.2v (and are hoping to be approved). How does that voltage difference work?

There is no difference between them, except in the name. Technically, the fully charged voltage is 8.4V, discharging to about 6V. 7.2-7.4V is somewhere in the middle, at about 50% charge level. Some battery manufacturers call them 7.2V while others call them 7.4V. HTH
    Dolgin Engineering
    www.dolgin.net

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Dolgin View Post
    There is no difference between them, except in the name. Technically, the fully charged voltage is 8.4V, discharging to about 6V. 7.2-7.4V is somewhere in the middle, at about 50% charge level. Some battery manufacturers call them 7.2V while others call them 7.4V. HTH
    Thanks, thatís super helpful

any chanches to find a NP-F adapter to BP? I have a lot of these NP-F batteries and i would like to use it

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post

Komodo 6K generally averages around a 25 watt draw, occasionally dipping below, and can go as high as 37 watts if you have all the things enabled. Generally for day to day shooting I'm getting that 25 watt number.
    Hummm... The RS2 Focus Motor port is 8V/3A. if you are getting the 25W number then, in this case, we might be able to Power Komodo (only) from R2S Focus Port, NO?
    No, I do not RENT MY GEARS... - NYC (Times Square)

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

Has anybody experienced a 3rd party battery dying while recording with the komodo? Does the footage get corrupted?

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Leone View Post
    any chanches to find a NP-F adapter to BP? I have a lot of these NP-F batteries and i would like to use it
    If you have a 3D printer handy... https://claudiu.co.uk/2020/12/sony-n...or-red-komodo/

Quote Originally Posted by claudiu voicu View Post
    fantastic my friend, thanks so much for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Westerlund View Post
    Has anybody experienced a 3rd party battery dying while recording with the komodo? Does the footage get corrupted?
    I’ve lost footage on Komodo, though we had not updated to the new firmware. We had it hooked up to a gold mount battery when it lost power but still, don’t even test it with a third party battery. Don’t learn the hard way like I did, change that battery!

Added "RED Certified" as it appears they've officially been testing things and approving them.

Also added the new RED REDVOLT BP batteries to the list. Going to have to assume those work and have been tested :)

Jarred said the REDVOLT BPs are $170 each, pretty sure they are the same runtime of 955s.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon