Thread: Shotgun mic in 2020: Sennheiser 416, 60, 8060?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Shotgun mic in 2020: Sennheiser 416, 60, 8060? 
    Hi everyone. I need to upgrade my shotgun mic for documentary production (shooting in a variety of contexts, outdoors and indoors). Can anyone with firsthand experience advise on the Sennheiser MKH 416 vs. MKH 60 vs. MKH 8060, either new or used, in 2020? I'm seeing different opinions out there about whether it's best to stick with the tried-and-true 416 or move on to something more modern. Also willing to consider the Rode NTG3. The Schoeps CMIT is out of my price range. Thank you.

418 is also nice.

Not shotgun but supercardioid, a good discussion from first hand users:

https://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/...c-1-and-mk-41/

+1 for the 418

Thanks Patrick and William -- do you guys like the 418 for the stereo imaging or overall performance (or both) for a camera-mounted mic in a single-shooter doc rig?

Also curious if you've used the Sanken CS3e

Today I'm using a CCM41 and a CCM8 in a MS configuration and in a cinela mount and leo windscreen. It's not shotgung. But for the shotgun I would go with the mini cmit or CSM1 for size reason. Remember a mic has a life span of 20+ years if handled correctly and can be revised, worth every penny of this investment.

http://www.sanken-mic.com/en/product....cfm/8.1001900

Pat

Both!
    The 418 can be a mono mike that is better than the 416 in my opinion.
    But it's primary function is as an MS mike which is brilliant if you know how to process that in post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Stracke View Post
    Also curious if you've used the Sanken CS3e
    Sanken's are great and definitely "standards" in the mic world. I own two CS-3e's that see probably 90% of the "boom"/shotgun/interview duty, a CS-M1 that is 99% an "on-cam"/nat mic(although one of my guys loved it when we used it for some off-cam dialog and another one of my audio guys rented it from me for a plant in a vehicle on a national commercial), and probably at least 8-10 COS-11 lav's. I also have a Schoeps(CMC641), but it only sees action for some interviews.

For what it's worth, one of my audio guys, who does a lot of high-end work(commercial and narrative) and owns several Schoeps, talked me out of getting a Shoeps "Blue" many years ago and going with the Sanken CS-3e, instead.

I don't think you would regret buying a CS-3e.

Thanks everyone! For those who use the Sankens: setting aside size/weight (which is definitely a factor, especially since this will be my primary on-camera mic paired with a couple of lavs), how would you rate the audio quality between the CS3e and the CSM1 in terms of fidelity, range, and off-axis rejection? Thank you all again for the great info.

The 3e and M1 do sound a little different(the 3e has more "balls"), but the M1 still sounds good.

And if for no other reason than size, I would go with the M1, if it's for primarily on-cam use.

I was going to post some pics, but you can't load images directly on here. They have to be hosted somewhere on-line.