Darren Mostyn

NEW in Resolve 17 [EDITING - MY TOP 10]

By
    Darren Mostyn

NEW in Resolve 17 Color Warper - how to use in 6 minutes! Colour Warper

By
    Darren Mostyn

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    I'm not worried about FilmLight and Autodesk, but Time in Pixels just got devasted, it's a very small innovative company from Poland. i think this company is just one brilliant programmer and now this free-ish BM business model claims another victim. Cinema Grade is another tiny shop with programming talent hailing from Russia. Innovation comes from those small start ups, so this is a big loss for all of us.
    I would hope that any brilliant programmer would have no problem finding stimulating and rewarding employment. It's what I tell my girls ages 9 and 11. But if it's to be self-employment the business owner needs to research the market and validate their ideas. It's one of the first things you read about in "start your own business programs", listed under challenges of making it on your own.

Larger companies that already have established products and some leverage can't be expected to 'not innovate' or to not iterate on their product out of pity for smaller companies. And it doesn't make them A-holes.

I sympathise with people starting out who are good at what they do, but struggle to make a mark. I do hope that talent floats to the surface if the determination is there though.

DaVinci Resolve 17 - Edit Page New Features

By
    Ripple Training

DaVinci Resolve 17 - Color Page New Features

By
    Ripple Training

Quote Originally Posted by AndreeMarkefors View Post
    I would hope that any brilliant programmer would have no problem finding stimulating and rewarding employment. It's what I tell my girls ages 9 and 11. But if it's to be self-employment the business owner needs to research the market and validate their ideas. It's one of the first things you read about in "start your own business programs", listed under challenges of making it on your own.

Larger companies that already have established products and some leverage can't be expected to 'not innovate' or to not iterate on their product out of pity for smaller companies. And it doesn't make them A-holes.

I sympathise with people starting out who are good at what they do, but struggle to make a mark. I do hope that talent floats to the surface if the determination is there though.
    The world already dominated by "to-big-to-fail" FAANG companies swallowing all of the world's best programming minds and to hell with everyone else who dares to innovate and be different...
    Seriously, you're asking BM to charge MORE for their software and at the same time you have zero compassion for little guys who actually innovate.
    Even Apple has a mechanism for small shops to innovate and get paid, it's called Apple Store. Apple releases API's that allows those little shops to write the software for Apple, BM doesn't do that.
    There is another color grading software platform, that also liked Nobe Color, so instead of ripping him off, they hired him to modify the software so it would work within their software. HE GOT PAID!!!
    That's how it's done...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

DaVinci Resolve 17 | New Editing Features - Proxy, DRT/DRB, Live Preview of FX, Titles, and More!!!

By
    Creative Media Institute

My FAVOURITE NEW TIMESAVING FEATURES - Davinci Resolve 17

By MrAlexTech

Seriously, you're asking BM to charge MORE for their software and at the same time you have zero compassion for little guys who actually innovate.
    It's not that I don't have compassion for "the little guy". It's just that ideas don't count much. We all have them—from the moment we awake until the moment we die. The execution of those ideas is everything. There are other software out there with a solid reputation that is often mentioned as being superior to Resolve. And for a subset of features I'm sure that's true. Especially if you want to work a certain way. But I never come across them and only hear about them occasionally in niche forums. Then when I actively look them up and see the interface it's one of those "please kill me now" moments.

For years, in the 3D world Cinema 4D was known to be easy to learn and to be friendly. 3Ds Max, Maya and Blender all had "please kill me now" interfaces. Now, they have all "ripped" C4D off and especially Blender has recognised that design and layout isn't about being "pretty". It's a feature in its own right. It takes a LOT of hard work to think things through to coordinate the look and feel of a large software package. Now Blender is soaring and it will be hard to beat it going forward.

Look at early screenshots of DaVinci and look at where they are now. That is innovation. Innovation is not a lightbulb moment or that one exclusive idea. It's a constant struggle and a will to move forward.

That's how it's done...
    Didn't Grant start out fumbling around with obscure hardware interfaces for computer audio, or was it broadcasting—in the Australian outback? As far as I know, he and the team has built BMD up step by step to where they are now.

Sometimes, it feel like just because there is a large company on one side and a "small guy" on the other side, we are 'supposed' to side with the small guy. I don't see it that way. I like companies that make products I like, both large and small. I want THAT to be the qualifier, not the size of the company.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreeMarkefors View Post
    It's just that ideas don't count much.
    Ideas is what moves us forward as a society. Without new ideas we'd still be stuck in a stone age looking for fire. Steam engines, airplanes, television and radio, space exploration, splitting the atom, computer and internet- all were new ideas that made us into a most prosperous society in a history of humanity. But, I guess, in your world ideas don't count much...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Ideas is what moves us forward as a society. Without new ideas we'd still be stuck in a stone age looking for fire. Steam engines, airplanes, television and radio, space exploration, splitting the atom, computer and internet- all were new ideas that made us into a most prosperous society in a history of humanity. But, I guess, in your world ideas don't count much...
    But you’re mentioning what I say DOES count: ideas that were ACTED upon.

Just make a simple test: ask among friends and see if you can’t find someone that has an “app idea” that would make them a millionaire, if only they could write code. But that whole thing is a brain fart. You don’t need to be able write a single line of code to make an app. I maintain: the idea itself isn’t worth much, it’s the execution of it that makes it real.

I’m only replying since I felt misinterpreted or misquoted. I’m good with handing the thread back to Rand.

Back to the thread...

I started doing HDR work this year (with my spiffy new FSI XM310K and trusty old FSI DM-240). HJDR in Resolve 16 was no joy. I just opened up a project in Resolve 17, and I gotta say: well done! I love the configurability and extensibility of the HDR color grading section. I have not begun to scratch the surface of the features described yesterday, but I am very happy that Resolve 17 should make grading HDR a joy.

I will be very interested to see whether ease-in / ease-out animation handles are useable/sensible from the editor window. I sure hope so!
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"