Thread: Motion mount on Monstro.

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Motion mount on Monstro. 
    Hi everyone!
    We are working on our LED virtual production setup. The problem is that we have scan lines when shooting slow-mo. Tested it with Arri Alexa, and everything is just fine. So, seems like a global shutter is a solution. So, the question is, have anyone tested motion mount on VV Monstro? Does it work? We have Zeiss Supreme lens set.

Thank you very much!
    Aleksei Gorodenkov
    Director Of Photography
    Showreel: www.gorodenkoff.com

Seams odd alexa has no global shutter. Are you sureyou did not just have luck with the interference when testing the alexa. I doubt it has any less flicker problems than monstro.

Also motion mount is not a global shutter. It only partly bring down exposure during the redraw of the sensor.

What framerates where you shooting? what is the hz of you electricity?

Have you looked at a flickerfree shutter angle for the given framerate and electricity hz?

https://www.red.com/flicker-free-video

Thank you very much for your answer Björn!
    My mistake. I have never worked with Alexa before, somehow thought it was global shutter. Ok, it is really odd then.

Sure, I tested with different shutter angles and fps. It is all good with 25-30fps, but there are visible scan lines when shooting higher fps. Seems like a Genlock is the way to go.

About the global shutter- I just keep hearing everywhere in VP communities that global shutter eliminates flickers and scan lines on LED screens. Not sure if this is really the case. So, checked on RED website, and it was saying that Motion mount has a global shutter feature, so decided to give it a chance :)

But I can tell you for sure, on Alexa- 60fps 180 degree, the image was clean, while Monstro with the same settings, at the same time had scan lines :(
    Aleksei Gorodenkov
    Director Of Photography
    Showreel: www.gorodenkoff.com

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei Gorodenkov View Post
    But I can tell you for sure, on Alexa- 60fps 180 degree, the image was clean, while Monstro with the same settings, at the same time had scan lines :(
    For a real 60Hz screen at 60fps:
    - For 60fps 180 degree shutter
    - For 59.94fps shutter angle of 177 or 354

For a 50Hz screen:
    - For 60fps shutter angle of 216
    - For 59.94fps shutter angle of 212.4

If none of that is working, you need to really investigate that screen.

If any of the above works, you own me a beer :)
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Senior Member Jens Jakob Thorsen's Avatar
    Good answers above. Motion mount works on Monstro and covers all the lenses I have tested on FF, even the 12mm Laowa. Its not really a global shutter though.
    Jens Jakob Thorsen DFF
    Director of photography
    Denmark
    www.jensjakob.com
    mail@jensjakob.com
    Monstro VV