Thread: Red 90 degree rotation plate

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Red 90 degree rotation plate 
    Hi all,

I remember seeing a mount that Red had made that would quickly rotate the red from horizontal framing to a vertical framing... It mounted straight onto a tripod. Do any of you remember seeing something like like prob 2-3 years ago?

If so, anyone have one they'd like to sell, or know of something similar?

Our shot goal is to be rolling horizontal and as someone drops a product into a bag, the camera rotates 90 degrees to vertical. But the image plane needs to stay on the same center point... If that makes sense.

Thanks for any help!

You can mount the camera 90 degee turned on these type of tripod heads using the tilt as a roll axis.
    https://www.varizoom.com/product/vzzg/
    The varizoom has been discontinued but depending on where you are the Ronford heads should be available for hire.

Hi Martin, thanks for the link! I should specify, the rotation needs to be from horizontal framing to "portrait mode" or IG story mode... So rotating the camera body 90 degrees on its side.

DJ - that is the one! Do you know if the camera body / lens mount stays about in the same position as it rotates?

Quote Originally Posted by NathanApffel View Post
    DJ - that is the one! Do you know if the camera body / lens mount stays about in the same position as it rotates?
    https://vimeo.com/87626356

I was told I bought the last one in Red's inventory a few years ago after it was discontinued.

Shit. That is slick. I cant tell fully from the video if they lens mount / lens stays in the same position since they punch in right when it begins to rotate. If it does, are you looking to get rid of yours? haha

Shit. That is slick. I cant tell fully from the video if they lens mount / lens stays in the same position since they punch in right when it begins to rotate. If it does, are you looking to get rid of yours? haha
    If I recall it is not EXACTLY the same position but its pretty close. If you were trying to do a in-camera rotate affect its probably close enough if you shoot it a little wide and crop it in post.

They are pretty rare but you'll see them at rental houses once in awhile.

Exactly. Going for the in cam rotation effect. I will look around for rental houses. Thanks!