Thread: Red Dots in Footage

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Red Dots in Footage 
    I did a shoot last week, and wound up shooting at 7k instead of 8k like I normally do. The footage has what appear to be single sensor pixel sized red dots subtly scattered throughout the frame, but only a handful. My 8k footage has never exhibited these. I'm guessing I needed to do a black shade and failed to realize before shooting? Is there any way to save the footage (besides manually trying to paint out the dots? I obviously did not notice them at the time of the shoot.

its sensor flare caused by the OLPF in the camera.
    looking something like this ?

usually happens in contrasy situations when you're shooting straight towards the sun or a light source.
    the aperture makes a difference too. Phil Holland has some good intel on this.
    Dr. Dominik Münch D.O.C.A
    Filmmaker & Cinematographer
    Epic-W "Lucy"
    http://www.instagram.com/drdominikmuench

What was the color or the T/E letters on the monitor? Usually you can find some hot pixels due to the E indicator going from yellow to orange. If the E indicator is red - you'll find a plenty of dots all over the image. What was your shutter speed? If you did a blackshade, for, say 180 shutter (1/50) and 25fps timebase, and then went something like 50fps and 45* shutter (1/400), so the difference in the black shade target exposure time and the actual shutter was too big - that's when you're getting an orange E indicator and hot pixels all over

You can cure most of them if you apply "flashing pixel adjust" setting in high mode in your raw settings. Available in Resolve and RCP, dunno about Premiere and FCPX.

Funny, I saw sensor flare recently, but no that's not what this is. I'll post a frame later today, but this is red dots that look like bad pixels on the monitor, but they get bigger when I push in on the footage. They're small enough that I didn't notice them while shooting.

I'll try the flashing pixel setting - these don't flash, they're super stable, but hopefully that helps.

I was at 1/48 on shutter, 24fps.

Yeah if it looks like hot/dead pixels, it could be remedied with an updated black shade (especially if something was atypical about the shoot, like if the ambient temps were quite different than normal, it'd potentially cause the BS to be less effective).

Also, make sure you're looking at the full-res/debayer of the footage... Sometimes when viewing at 1/4 or 1/2, there appear to be hot/dead pixels, but at full-res they're not actually there.

The dots are small to see in the jpg, so I circled them with yellow circles, but this will give a sense of size. They are not in the background - when the head moves, the dot stays in front.
    Attached Images

This likely is hot pixels due to the lack of a semi-recent Sensor Calibration. Could also have something to do with temperature swing between the last calibration as well.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks Phil! I assume I'll have to live with these for now or paint them out?

Paint or if you have VFX experience or company you work with you might be able to explore a dark frame reduction or map.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon