Thread: focus chart: where can i download it?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Solitaires are a bit archaic, but they are still out there recording primarily larger than VistaVision formats mainly for IMAX releases. Don't know what they take per frame these days as I left that part of things long ago, but back then it was about 1.5 minutes or so per 70mm frame to record.
    I asked about Solitaire when I was at ILM in 2004, and they kind of shrugged and said they had one in storage but they didn't use it anymore. I think the Arri laser recorders pretty much killed it (and Quantel Domino), plus the market for recording out to film is greatly diminished these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Deluxe used Marcie way back. At R&H we used the Kodak LAD girl you have there. Never found out who she was, but it really depends on where you were working who your China/Leader/or whatever girl was. Marcie and her I think were the most common in Hollywood at least when I was coming up.
    We had a custom D.I. chart at Technicolor, but I don't have permission to post it. Everybody in LA has their own proprietary setup leaders and so on -- EFilm's is particularly impressive.

But as far as a Focus Chart goes (which is what the o.p. asked for), I think Arri is the best bet. I regret that there are a lot of young cinematographers that don't shoot color charts or framing charts at the beginning of the day, because they're infinite useful in post later on. I like to use them just as a check, to make sure we haven't screwed anything up during the final color session.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

The fiddle head chart from DSC is an interesting take on the star chart.

BBC Chart 61 had it's uses, but you need something a bit more inclusive for better skin coverage. They nailed the neutral gray background/dress though. Helps on the scopes.

The new charts with Vanta Black are impressive, used to be a big problem getting good blacks with clunky velvet boxs strapped on.