Thread: Video: 'iPhone 13: the END of Facebook'

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Video: 'iPhone 13: the END of Facebook' 
    Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    This time, Apple is taking on giants like Facebook and Instagram over privacy concerns. This could result in some of your favorite apps leaving your precious iPhone 12.

(11:47)
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Unsplash | Pinterest | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Controversial opinion: Fucc the Zucc.

Facebook can eat shit and die.
    (as I open and close instagram six times while typing this)

As an avid fan of the Novel "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson, I can't help but look at the parallels to the world we live in.

If I had to pick a corporate nation-state to live in, I would probably choose to live in a world of Apple hardware and Google services if I had the choice. Sorry Facebook, I see you as more of a cult of weird thirst-trapping and problematic mind-virus.

Don't even get me started on Tik-Tok, which IMO is a blatant and intentional Psy-Op to make all modern humans mentally debilitated. Throw that shit in the fucking garbage (one of the very limited scope of things I actually agree with Trump on fully).
    Last edited by Dan Kanes; 02-09-2021 at 10:19 PM.

It's all far worse than anyone realizes. I mean, truly horrifying. We all took the bait. But, I'm forever an optimist. I have to be or my family will not be able to deal with me if I go on and on about what we have all signed up for. The interesting things is, in many ways it doesn't even matter where you fall politically. This actually extends way beyond any party allegiance or day to day political disputes. It's been nearly 40 years in the making, maybe even more.

But, on a positive note, we have cool cameras at our disposal.
    Steve Sherrick

I couldn't agree more with most of the comments above.

I mean, for a company to call it's users "Dumb F#cks" for trusting them with their data.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/Faceboo...news-6794.html

The question is, does the shoe fit the typical user that continues to use Facebook despite knowing this?

I must say though that in terms of privacy Google is not much better than FB.

https://www.wired.com/story/google-tracks-you-privacy/

Glad Apple is taking this approach. I think Apple generally treats it's user base well but we still need a check and balance against even them as they are growing into something of a super power.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post
    It's all far worse than anyone realizes. I mean, truly horrifying. We all took the bait. But, I'm forever an optimist. I have to be or my family will not be able to deal with me if I go on and on about what we have all signed up for. The interesting things is, in many ways it doesn't even matter where you fall politically. This actually extends way beyond any party allegiance or day to day political disputes. It's been nearly 40 years in the making, maybe even more.

But, on a positive note, we have cool cameras at our disposal.
    I'm not sure exactly what you might be referring to Steve but definitely agree that there are some considerably deep institutions (political, social, and economical) that go far beyond the jackass and the elephant and greatly undermine the country and even more so the world.

Perhaps a broad statement but RU is not the place for that discussion so I'll stop here.

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA
    If you love comic books please support the GoFundMe for
    Hy Eisman: A Life in Comics documentary

www.britim-media.com
    IMDB

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Timmons View Post
    I couldn't agree more with most of the comments above.

I mean, for a company to call it's users "Dumb F#cks" for trusting them with their data.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/Faceboo...news-6794.html

The question is, does the shoe fit the typical user that continues to use Facebook despite knowing this?

I must say though that in terms of privacy Google is not much better than FB.

https://www.wired.com/story/google-tracks-you-privacy/

Glad Apple is taking this approach. I think Apple generally treats it's user base well but we still need a check and balance against even them as they are growing into something of a super power.

I'm not sure exactly what you might be referring to Steve but definitely agree that there are some considerably deep institutions (political, social, and economical) that go far beyond the jackass and the elephant and greatly undermine the country and even more so the world.

Perhaps a broad statement but RU is not the place for that discussion so I'll stop here.

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA
    I think you understand where I was going without actually going there because as you said, Reduser is not the place for it. I've tried to leave most of my views outside the world of cameras and filmmaking off of this forum because I don't believe those views really add much to most of the conversations at hand but as a human being every once in a while I can't help myself. :-)
    Steve Sherrick

Does anyone under 60 still use Facebook?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Meyer View Post
    Does anyone under 60 still use Facebook?
    As of the end of 2020:
    - Approximately 2.8 billion active users every month.
    - About 3.3-ish billion using various other Facebook owned entities like Instagram, WhatsApp, and Messenger.
    - Daily around 1.8 to 2 billion active users.

While I'm here.

Coincidently currently there's about 3 billion smartphones in the world. 75%-ish are Android based, 25%-ish are IOS based. Other mobile OS share is less that .02% in 2021 and virtually nonexistent to most normal people.

Mobile OS popularity and market share is really interesting to dig into as it depends on so many factors including region, age, industry, and a whole lot of other things.

Right no across all major tech companies privacy is being looked at very hard. Much of this is due to the sheer size and newness still of social media platforms and what's reasonable and unreasonable to do. A bit of a moving needle as privacy abuses and policies have also been moving.

Apple has been focusing hard on privacy for the last few years. Google should be mentioned as well here. Particularly given the popularity of various applications that you end up agreeing to their permissions to access your data and various features on your devices. Some of which is necessary to run whatever app, some is just data culled for some other purpose, often marketing.

To the point of marketing, due to the popularity off all of these things we've never been more deliberately and effectively targeted via online marketing as you all know. You might have a conversation about socks and you might see a Facebook ad or even get an email from Amazon showing you the best sock deals.

Lots to be concerned about here regarding all of it, who has access to your info, and all those things. But also lots to likely not be too worried about. Privacy is moderate illusion in modern times unless you are really off the grid. Pros and cons to that lifestyle.

Though the clickbait title is predictable, I suspect rather than the end of Facebook you'll instead see aggressive privacy procedures driven by device manufacturers and/or social media networks and they will need to adapt to whatever new strategies are being worked on for all of this. Just like they have been doing really. As to if anybody is doing a great job or not, well that's up to interpretation. Hard to comprehend the scale and variety of issues that come with these devices and platforms.

Something to consider, the userbase is larger than both of the largest countries in the world. In fact there's about 4.7 billion people online at this stage of 2021. About 65% are Facebook users in some way, shape, or form.

Since it was mentioned, TikTok is about where Facebook was in the late 2000s/early 2010s with about 800 million users.

This mobile and online world has put a lot of focus on new products, what to create, who to make them for, and how to get them to people. For instance, if you can tap into 1% of the smartphone market, that' a customer base of 30,000,000 people. Which is why even failed smartphone accessories are sometimes pretty profitable.

And of course to bring it back to somewhat forum relevance, yes, smartphones are the most popular cameras in the world. Even us camera people use them :)
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon