Thread: SCARLET MX worth in 2021

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 SCARLET MX worth in 2021 
    I think 16 bit RAW is certainly an advantage over many other options on the market these days.

I'm currently trading for a Scarlet MX body EF mount with a 256 redmag, and RED 4.7in monitor. How much are these selling for these days? The one plus on this one is it only has 15 hours on the sensor and is in immaculate shape. The RED mag was also recently purchased so its virtually new.

Picking it up on Saturday so I am excited to see how the 16bit images compare to my Panasonic S1, in good lighting conditions obviously. Was originally gonna get a Komodo but its sold out everywhere and this body just fell into my lap.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Pawlowski View Post
    I think 16 bit RAW is certainly an advantage over many other options on the market these days.

I'm currently trading for a Scarlet MX body EF mount with a 256 redmag, and RED 4.7in monitor. How much are these selling for these days? The one plus on this one is it only has 15 hours on the sensor and is in immaculate shape. The RED mag was also recently purchased so its virtually new.

Picking it up on Saturday so I am excited to see how the 16bit images compare to my Panasonic S1, in good lighting conditions obviously. Was originally gonna get a Komodo but its sold out everywhere and this body just fell into my lap.
    It depends on what you gonna shoot with it. But so many DP's shooting music videos because of that cinematic look and lovely grain that Scarlet gives.

Attach a good lens and you will be a surprised whit the look that Scarlet gives.

It's definitely a capable camera in 2021 for various shots ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Arvydas View Post
    It depends on what you gonna shoot with it. But so many DP's shooting music videos because of that cinematic look and lovely grain that Scarlet gives.

Attach a good lens and you will be a surprised whit the look that Scarlet gives.

I agree. I think the scarlet mx can deliver. I still use mine for standard capture productions, where slowmotion or higher resolution aren't needed. I find, paired with good glass and good quality lights, you can produce 2021 relevant motion pictures.

For example, I used my Scarlet MX as a timelapse camera for a production I shot on the Tuesday just gone. Here is a screengrab: ~ shot on full resoulution of the sensor @ 5K, 1fps at 3:1 compression ratio. The reason for the grain is because it was underexposed. However, I don't find to to be an issue, in fact, I quite like the grain. The colours are spot on too, imo.

You cannot go wrong with an MX sensor... remember, it is a professional camera, a tool for image creation! Learn to use it well, light it properly and you will fall in love with the image it can produce. My Scarlet is cranking now over 1100 hours and still loving it. I recently cleaned the dust and leaves and she purs like a kittten!

The Epic MX, on the otherhand, is a freaking monster! I love the image that that camera produces. Here is an example - slightly sharpened in post, but the colours and contrast are right out of camera. ~ an example of using good quality light can produce nice punchy images. I use KinoFlo, in this case with the 5500K bulbs / Tubes, as the sensor is native at 5000k , the closer you get to that temp, the nicer the image looks ... but that is debatable. Really, get good lights and expose it well and you cannot go wrong with the shot!

I hope that helps in some way?

Cheers!
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    Heapsgood Productions, Norway.
    (www.Heapsgood.no)
    EPIC-X #06833 "Monsta" & SCARLET-X #01773 "Scratch"
    Carl Zeiss, Voigtänder & Russian glass

Furthermore, if you are wanting a low-light performer ... you probably should look at the Gemini or another camera system, like Sony or Canon. You need to feed the MX sensor lots of good light - again, debatable. I am only talking from my own experiences using both the EPIC MX and the SCARLET MX ~ as I own them both and use them all the time.

Cheers.
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)

Thanks for the kind words guys, really appreciate it! Fortunately this purchase is really just to indulge my interest in different camera systems. Its cool that we are at a place in the digital market where gear like this is relatively affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickWebb View Post
    Furthermore, if you are wanting a low-light performer ... you probably should look at the Gemini or another camera system, like Sony or Canon. You need to feed the MX sensor lots of good light - again, debatable. I am only talking from my own experiences using both the EPIC MX and the SCARLET MX ~ as I own them both and use them all the time.

Cheers.
    Yeah though I've mostly used hybrid SLR type cameras I did own the URSA 4.6K briefly which isn't exactly a low light performer. My bigger issues with it was not the noise when under exposed but the fixed noise pattern. Plus it was the older CDNG version which produced pretty huge files. I am excited to use REDcode. I am also excited to see what the RED color science is like, was never a huge fan of the BM color science. I love high speed and low light abilities but for 90% of the stuff I do I am shooting at native ISO, lighting, and shooting in 24p.

I've heard the Scarlet sensor doesn't like mixed lighting? Mixed light is often something to avoid in general but do you think there is any specific truth to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Arvydas View Post

I like the sound of that. I really don't mind noise at all and I like the softer 4k look I've seen from the camera.

It's not that the Scarlet MX sensor doesn't like mixed lighting, it just sees it better than your eye does. The greens in Fluorescents and some LEDs stand out more in the footage than it looks on set. I've had 2 different practical bulbs give off very different looks in the footage.
    Try not to mix and match bulb types.

Thanks for the kind words guys, really appreciate it! Fortunately this purchase is really just to indulge my interest in different camera systems. Its cool that we are at a place in the digital market where gear like this is relatively affordable.

Yeah though I've mostly used hybrid SLR type cameras I did own the URSA 4.6K briefly which isn't exactly a low light performer. My bigger issues with it was not the noise when under exposed but the fixed noise pattern. Plus it was the older CDNG version which produced pretty huge files. I am excited to use REDcode. I am also excited to see what the RED color science is like, was never a huge fan of the BM color science. I love high speed and low light abilities but for 90% of the stuff I do I am shooting at native ISO, lighting, and shooting in 24p.

I've heard the Scarlet sensor doesn't like mixed lighting? Mixed light is often something to avoid in general but do you think there is any specific truth to this?

I like the sound of that. I really don't mind noise at all and I like the softer 4k look I've seen from the camera.

We are spoiled for choice today, especially when you have fantastic cinema cameras on the market going for like $3000~ish with accessories. Couldn't have imagined that 10-15 years ago! That is technology for you! It jumps and leaps into the future, leaving "older" technology simply "outdated" and "worth~less". There are the massive improvements on usability and quality, don't get me wrong there! But, there is some gear oout there now that one can pick up and start a production company at a FRACTION of the price of what it was then new! It's simply exciting!

I used the URSA Mini 4K for a long time and always was scared about the FPN - simply terrible. However, when lit well, it produced such amazing images, really. Handheld, it was a great live camera on stage at concerts! The global shutter was the highlight for me with that camera. However, I had to move on, so I swapped it out for a BMPCC4K - which provided a far better image, from my experience. I had to trig out the P4K for it to be produciton ready - for example: I had a HDMI to SDI converter strapped to the rig to use SDI when working on like gigs or sending to switchers that didnt have HDMI. The battery system cost also as much as the pocket did, as well as the Metabones Speedbooster!! Easily to say, it was just as expensive, maybe more than the cost of just getting an URSA Mini. Experience, whatever. But it was a fun camera to run around with on a gimbal etc. The image that comes from it is nothing short of amazing for what you pay for. I always recommend warmly the P4K to anyone who wants an easy nice image to work with.

R3D is a pleasure to work with. The RED colour science is great. Blackmagic has also a great colour science. However, it comes down to how you expose your image as well as grade your image. I really like both to work with and have had no issues with achieving a great result from!

Mixed lighting is always a pain for the user. The camera plucks out the colours fine! ;) Try to match your light sources as well as possible. Prep is king with lighting and don't be afraid to turn lights off, as long as you have your own lights ;)

As for the image form the scarlet, you can always sharpen it in post, if you need to.

I am interested to find out more when you get your camera to see what you produce! You should share your experiences and / or screenshots!

Cheers!
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Sims View Post
    It's not that the Scarlet MX sensor doesn't like mixed lighting, it just sees it better than your eye does. The greens in Fluorescents and some LEDs stand out more in the footage than it looks on set. I've had 2 different practical bulbs give off very different looks in the footage.
    Try not to mix and match bulb types.
    I second that.
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)

My Scarlet MX has been with me for over 8 years now.
    I still love it and getting my money's worth.
    I do a lot of other work with other cameras in post and yes I can tell the difference at some level.
    But if you didn't have to sell a kidney to own one, then your golden :)
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post
    My Scarlet MX has been with me for over 8 years now.
    I still love it and getting my money's worth.
    I do a lot of other work with other cameras in post and yes I can tell the difference at some level.
    But if you didn't have to sell a kidney to own one, then your golden :)
    May it battle another 8 years!
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)