Thread: SCARLET MX worth in 2021

Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    G'day guys,
    Hope all are well!

Here is a couple of screen grabs from this project I was talking about: shot with the Epic-MX with a Jupiter-9 85mm as the taking lens for the Sankor 16c 2x anamorphic lens. A bit of a bodge job, but it gave me nice results. All shot on 5K ANA mode at 48fps on a 24fps timeline. Yes, i know it isn't the Scarlet, but, you know the sensor.

Still does alright, me thinks.

Some screen grabs in this thread ~ so not to double up: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...rphic-goodness

Cheers :)
    Last edited by PatrickWebb; 05-28-2021 at 04:36 AM.
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    Heapsgood Productions, Norway.
    (www.Heapsgood.no)
    EPIC-X #06833 "Monsta" & SCARLET-X #01773 "Scratch"
    Carl Zeiss, Voigtänder & Russian glass

I love it!!
    Have you tried that lens on the Scarlet?
    I know you lose some quality but I'm curious.
    Man those are beautiful frames :)
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Hey Eric, Thanks, man! Appreciated.

Yeah, I have some test shots I took on the Scarlet, which I will get together tomorrow and post here.

There isn't as much "lost of quality" as you might think. The only difference is that the Epic can desqueese in camera and shoot well at 5K FF. I tested out this on the scarlet on 4K ~ squeezed and then just de[qz]ed it in post and it looked very nice. The resolution at 4K is just fine. The difference is that used the Helios 44-2 58mm instead to get the max out of it. If I were to get better speeds, I would crop down to 3K and then maybe use a 50mm of some description. But it work and works well. The big downfall for me, eventhough it isn't such a big deal, is the double focusing ~ it is tedious.

The rest is totally implore anyone out there to try it out. It's freaking fun and the results are Anamorphic!

:D
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post
    I love it!!
    Have you tried that lens on the Scarlet?
    I know you lose some quality but I'm curious.
    Man those are beautiful frames :)
    Yes, I actually had some time now to share the test shots. Sorry for the low res screen shots, but you get the idea. I didn't have enough effort to pull the hi-res out of Davinci Resolve (as it was being difficult for some reason for the image export ~ so these screen grabs are from VLC :/ )

Excuse the vanity ... it is just a test.

Tech: Red Scarlet MX @ 4K with all the Helios 44-2 58mm as the taking lens and one as an example with the Carl Zeiss 50mm Classic ZE (at the bottom):

And this one is to exhibit the happenings of a wider angle lens @ 50mm set to 4K. This would be good for the 3K Crop.

I hope this helps !

UPDATE:
    These were all DESQUEEZED in post ~ essentially I looked at the squeezed version on my monitor. I didn't have a monitor to do the 2x DSQ, as it was a test only for me. but you can work around that with 3rd party options through the SDI / HDMI ports, I'm certain.
    Partly why I chose the Epic ~ just makes life a little easier. I mean, it was hard enough with the double focusing!
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)

G'day all,
    I hope everyone is good!

I am so happy that the warmer days are here!

Here are some grabs from some playing around I did today working with higher ISO's in the sunlight. I've been toying around with holding my highlight information better and filtering the lens whilst it is wideish open. I have been really astonished at the holding of that info in the R3D from the older MX sensor sitting in this scarlet X box. I was always a little shy of trying this on jobs until I had time to fully explore and understand it. Now that I feel that I have a pretty good idea how to pull off this method, I think I will apply it further.

Most, if not all of these grabs, were with the Scarlet-X set to 1250 ISO with the Jupiter-9 85mm wide open f2~3.5, around abouts, and then a variable ND to bring the exposure down to a good working image. I've experimented with this for the day and am pretty happy with how much detail is retained. Of course you are seeing just the edited images here. I have exported one ungraded one to see side-by-side. I did the simple grading in REDCINE-X PRO and exported the stills out of there.

Ungraded

Graded

This goes to show the flex of this camera and sensor and codec ... which is still on paar, if not better than some of the other options out there today.

That is of course my personal opinion.

Happy Summer everyone!
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)

Patrick,

I like the look of your stills from the scarlet-X. I've never owned one and hadn't had much experience with the images that it produced.

Also I noticed you said you might have had issues with exporting stills from Resolve. Just in case you wanted to export stills from Resolve
    which will give you much more grading capabilities than Redcine-X, here's an easy way to do it if you didn't already know.

1) Grab the still you want

2) "Right-Click" in the "Gallery" window to "Export"

3) Choose the Still Format you want to Export it in, the default is "DPX"

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Lovely images, Patrick. That sensor is gold. There is more than one ten year-old sensor which still holds its own today...
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Unsplash | Pinterest | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Patrick,

I like the look of your stills from the scarlet-X. I've never owned one and hadn't had much experience with the images that it produced.

Also I noticed you said you might have had issues with exporting stills from Resolve. Just in case you wanted to export stills from Resolve
    which will give you much more grading capabilities than Redcine-X, here's an easy way to do it if you didn't already know.

1) Grab the still you want

2) "Right-Click" in the "Gallery" window to "Export"

3) Choose the Still Format you want to Export it in, the default is "DPX"
    Hey Rand,

Thanks! Appreciated. It was a good old simple s-curve. Also, I feel details and textures really help keep things interesting.

Regarding the Davinci Resolve business, I do use it as my only NLE. Problem at the moment is that I am only getting black frames from it. I knew how to do the export before in the grading tab / stills capture. However, I have gotten some funky glitch that is giving me only black stills! Have you heard of this problem before?

1. My files and hdds are online;
    2. Updated to the latest and greatest version;
    3. this problem is happening with my R3D, XAVC, BRAW and even DNxHD codecs

... it is driving me up the wall, as I want to deliver a decent frames board to my clients and I have to grab those stills from either VLC or Redcine-X for the red files.

It just seems strange that it has started doing this to me since 2 months now.
    Last edited by PatrickWebb; 06-07-2021 at 04:42 AM.
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    Lovely images, Patrick. That sensor is gold. There is more than one ten year-old sensor which still holds its own today...
    Thanks Karim, Indeed it is! I am getting more used to the MX sensor and I feel that each time it delivers a fine picture.
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)

Oh, I've had the same problem. De-installation and a clean install helped