Thread: SCARLET MX worth in 2021

Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Pawlowski View Post
    I think 16 bit RAW is certainly an advantage over many other options on the market these days.

I'm currently trading for a Scarlet MX body EF mount with a 256 redmag, and RED 4.7in monitor. How much are these selling for these days? The one plus on this one is it only has 15 hours on the sensor and is in immaculate shape. The RED mag was also recently purchased so its virtually new.

Picking it up on Saturday so I am excited to see how the 16bit images compare to my Panasonic S1, in good lighting conditions obviously. Was originally gonna get a Komodo but its sold out everywhere and this body just fell into my lap.
    Epic MX can be viable, but Scarlet MX struggles a bit compared to the competition. There's so many good options out there that cost way less. The problem isn't the camera body itself, it's the side gear that cost a fortune. I would say Komodo, Pocket 6K, or upcoming DSLRs are far more valuable options.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Epic MX can be viable, but Scarlet MX struggles a bit compared to the competition. There's so many good options out there that cost way less. The problem isn't the camera body itself, it's the side gear that cost a fortune. I would say Komodo, Pocket 6K, or upcoming DSLRs are far more valuable options.
    I would agree here, Christoffer, purely on the point of the "side gear" and also the Scarlet's recording capabilities. Of course it struggles compared to the newer competition out there. Technically it is a deadweight to some people. Which it could well be. However, if you can forgo the disadvantages of the Scarlet-X and use it within its capabilities, it is a good camera still. I can confirm it from my side. The modules and extras alone, even on the 2nd-hand market can be costly. however, one can purchase it on the 2nd-hand market with a tonne of extra mods and bits for a fraction of the original cost.

Sometimes it can be purely up to budget criteria:
    The Komodo still costs a good 80K NOK, as I'm based in Norway, and that is the base kit alone. To get that up and running it could cost anywhere up to 100K NOK. Not to say you cannot find it on the market with the bits for a cheaper price, but it is still a new product with ongoing support (which is what the DSMC1's don't have ~ another point to be made). Then the BMD 6K is a great camera, but you need to rig it up a little to get the full potential out of it. There you are looking at the BMD option at around 40~50K NOK for a decent setup. I've experienced that with the Pocket CC series over the years. Nevertheless, you can shoot out of the box with both Komodo and P4/6K but, you soon need more if you work on a weekly basis with the cameras ... like any camera, really.

I am not discrediting the value of any camera system here, but if one was looking strictly at budget and had 30-40K to spend, there is a tough argument in any ring there to be had. I got my Scarlet-X with the extra bits and bobs for 30K NOK and I am happy with it. I can use the modules and parts with my Epic-X and that the sensors are both MX was the reason for me to purchase it. Therefore I have 2 cameras that match for 2 cam jobs. However, this is strictly for my workflow too.

Maybe I could have spent that 30K on a Canon c100 mk2 or a 1Dx II, Or whatever is out there for the coin value equivalent. But I am not complaining. I see the value in the Scarlet-X for the strengths it can provide and acknowledge and understand where the weaknesses lie. When I feel that the weakness is met, then I jump over to my Epic-X and pretty much all of my shooting needs are met with this.
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    Heapsgood Productions, Norway.
    (www.Heapsgood.no)
    EPIC-X #06833 "Monsta" & SCARLET-X #01773 "Scratch"
    DZOFilm Pictor Cine Zoom, Carl Zeiss, Voigtänder & Soviet glass

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lubensky View Post
    Oh, I've had the same problem. De-installation and a clean install helped
    The Classic Reboot Trick never fails! This was my next step. Even BMD forums had a brainache to what had happened. Time to re-boot.
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickWebb View Post
    Hey Rand,

Thanks! Appreciated. It was a good old simple s-curve.

Regarding the Davinci Resolve business, I do use it as my only NLE. Problem at the moment is that I am only getting black frames from it. I knew how to do the export before in the grading tab / stills capture. However, I have gotten some funky glitch that is giving me only black stills! Have you heard of this problem before?

1. My files and hdds are online;
    2. Updated to the latest and greatest version;
    3. this problem is happening with my R3D, XAVC, BRAW and even DNxHD codecs

... it is driving me up the wall, as I want to deliver a decent frames board to my clients and I have to grab those stills from either VLC or Redcine-X for the red files.

It just seems strange that it has started doing this to me since 2 months now.
    Patrick,

I hadn't heard of or ever seen the " Black Frames" export issue. Are you using a PC or Mac?

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Patrick,

I hadn't heard of or ever seen the " Black Frames" export issue. Are you using a PC or Mac?
    I am using Windows. The guys over at the BMD forums also haven't experienced this kind of issue before either. *scratches head*
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)

Patrick,

Do you have the latest version of Windows and the latest drivers for your graphics card installed. Whenever I have had problems with Resolve it has been from a few things:

1) Not having the latest version of Windows and all security and cumulative updates.

2) Not having the latest graphics card driver, and if you have the Nvidia 1070/1080 and above graphic cards, install the Studio Version not the Gaming Version.

3) installing a New Version of Resolve over an old version of Resolve with the " Update" process. I just find it best, in my experience, to:

1) Uninstall
    2) Restart
    3) Install
    4) Restart

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Patrick,

Do you have the latest version of Windows and the latest drivers for your graphics card installed. Whenever I have had problems with Resolve it has been from a few things:

1) Not having the latest version of Windows and all security and cumulative updates.

2) Not having the latest graphics card driver, and if you have the Nvidia 1070/1080 and above graphic cards, install the Studio Version not the Gaming Version.

3) installing a New Version of Resolve over an old version of Resolve with the " Update" process. I just find it best, in my experience, to:

1) Uninstall
    2) Restart
    3) Install
    4) Restart
    I will give this a go, thanks, Rand!

It is so strange, this. It started doing this by itself ~ as I had no issue exporting still frames in the past. So, it must be that I might have to give DR a good old rekick.

Cheers for your guidance.
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    (www.Heapsgood.no)

You're welcome Patrick!, I hope it helps.