Thread: Blackmagic Camera Update February 2021

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    With the dual iso 6K sensor and all of the features - built in 1500 NIT monitor w/flip screen, internal NDs, dual miniXLRs, CFast, SD, external USB, inexpensive optional EVF, direct control buttons, ProRES and BMD RAW, $145 dual battery grip (allows hot swap since still have internal battery, 5th gen color science at $2495 - is there a substantial IQ difference with GEMINI and is it sufficient enough to justify the much greater expense of a Gemini?
    Save the Sharks

don't forget the internal NDs.. The still non locking style EF mount seems a bit outdated now
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    don't forget the internal NDs.. The still non locking style EF mount seems a bit outdated now
    I did mention NDs but didn't specify internal. But also forgot it comes with full version of Resolve.
    Save the Sharks

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    Yeah, that's the only bummer. With the 4k, you can use a metabones support to lock the adapter at the body (when using acage) and if using the Cine version, then have a PL style mount for the lens. NO play whatsoever. I really wish they would have done a positive lock type EF mount on this as well. Many would of course complain because you can't swap lenses alone and in a hurry with just one hand, but I'd happily give that up for a more secure connection.
    Last edited by Omid Zoufonoun; 02-17-2021 at 02:17 PM.

I would've preferred an RF mount *without* NDs, to be honest. Then have an ND-EF mount for daylight and a focal reducer mount for low-light (though dual ISO makes that less necessary). That said, for $500 more than the p6k, you're getting quite a bit of stuff (re: better battery, ND, tiltable-screen, dual mXLRs, 1500nit screen).

The Gen5 colour science is coming to all their cameras via firmware, which kinda makes the half-debayer/full-debayer argument moot (since they can just upgrade the FPGAs to do it pre-debayer anyway).

As for the NPF570s, I didn't think they held much more than LPE6Ns (only like 1wh), and with the massively brighter screen, that'd probably eat into it pretty quickly. Did they elaborate on power consumption anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    ...snip... That said, for $500 more than the p6k, you're getting quite a bit of stuff (re: better battery, ND, tiltable-screen, dual mXLRs, 1500nit screen).
    Also note that the p6k was the same $2495 before the price drop. Seems like $2495 is a price point they try to hit every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    ...snip... As for the NPF570s, I didn't think they held much more than LPE6Ns (only like 1wh), and with the massively brighter screen, that'd probably eat into it pretty quickly. Did they elaborate on power consumption anywhere?.
    LPE-6Ns top out at about 2200mAH with the H version. Blackmagic's NP-F570 is 3500mAH ($55) and there may be others rated even higher.
    Save the Sharks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hastings View Post
    LPE-6Ns top out at about 2200mAH with the H version. Blackmagic's NP-F570 is 3500mAH ($55) and there may be others rated even higher.
    I like the sound of that. If there's a 4400mAH one, that's double... aka potentially ~1.5hours per!

EDIT: The product pages says ~1hour recording at 24p with monitor at 50% brightness (which I think would be as bright as the original at full, since it's 1500nits).
    Last edited by Mike P.; 02-19-2021 at 08:27 AM.

Quick thoughts on this announcement. Definitely an improvement on the original 6k but these cameras have their limits.
    Amazing value though.

Seems like there are the first few cameras in the wild as well, in case anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoL8OZCr9UY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHt0B3kBFB8

Nothing too scientific or comprehensive yet, but in case anyone is interested to take a first look.

Amazing, cameras can be announced, purchased and shipped out to customers all on the same day. Itís like they are actual products. Did no one tell them... pandemic... pandemic... chicken with head cut off clearly not running things. Itís like Blackmagic is a real business or something. Shhhhh! Pandemic, pandemic excuse... pandemic... thatís what the headless chicken said.