Thread: ISO - Useless while shooting and in post

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui Guerra View Post
    Regarding best practices in post, what is the consensus here, regarding:

1 - Anyone finds any advantage in going first to RedCineX and adjusting some RAW parameters before importing the footage to DaVinci Resolve?

2 - Most importantly, once the footage is imported inside DaVinci Resolve, how important is to first change RAW parameters (in the Camera RAW tab) and then using the usual color grading tools of Resolve? Assuming that we start straight with Resolve, with the standard flat/log look of REDWideGamutRGB/Log3G10, should we rely entirely on the power of Resolve to give the best possible image quality just using color wells and it's other native color grading tools? Or is there any real advantage in going first to the Camera RAW tab of color grading page and do some prior adjusting of some Raw parameters (ISO, WB, etc) in a clip basis before start grading using Resolve's own tools?
    I'll preface my comment with "there's many ways to skin a cat".

1. Yes. Particularly useful dialing in settings like Color Temperature, ISO/Exposure Adjustments, etc. Copying and pasting settings across clips is pretty easy in RCX.

2. I need to decide how polarizing I need to be here because some will have differing opinions, but when I do First Light Color Corrections I always use RAW settings first for Temp, ISO, etc.

This isn't a mutually RED thing, but a best practices thing. If you are working with a camera that captures a RAW format of any sort and there's an implemented SDK within any grading program, it's a bit more ideal to tend to general corrections in RAW.

And yes, you don't have to work this way. And yes, I will disagree with that most of the time.

A more common flexible workflow is dial in your various RAW settings for a specific scene, then also look deeper into correcting or balancing from there on a shot by shot basis via RAW settings or an early node.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks for the insight, Phil.

It makes all the sense to use some earlier RAW settings changes (right after import the clips to Resolve) to achieve the best possible starting point for posterior color grading.
    And one of those RAW changes, that it makes sense to adjust is a specific ISO value accordingly to the intent of protecting more the shadows from noise (low ISO) or highlights from clipping (higher ISO).

I wonder how many colorists/users use the ability of adjusting RAW parameters inside DaVinci Resolve, including the ISO, before moving on to the color wells and secondary adjustments?
    Rui Guerra - PHOTOGUERRA Underwater Productions, Lda.
    www.photoguerra.net

I always at least have a look at the RAW parameters in Resolve to see if they're where I want them to be before moving to the secondary adjustments.

Sometimes with the RAW parameters it's just set-and-forget with all the tweaking done further into Resolve. Sometimes there's more going back and forth between the RAW parameters and secondary Resolve controls, as they do affect the image differently in some ways. It depends on the subject-matter and how it was shot and the kind of look I want.

I've deliberately tried using only one or the other as much as possible and found I get the best results if I readily use both the RAW settings and secondary Resolve controls as needed.

FWIW, I always set on camera ISO to 800 for consistency in judging the monitor image. To get the most "meat" into the data set, I like to change the iris while watching the histogram and look for the setting that best fills, and spreads out captured values. For example, using a strict ETTR philosophy can clump a lot of the captured image information into a steep "mountain" while leaving half the histogram almost empty. Yes, the histogram uses a gamma curve - but since the final image will as well, I'm fine with that. That said, there may be other considerations in choosing your stop beyond making the best histogram - textural consistency, DoF control, etc.

However you approach ISO and exposure choices, keep in mind that you are capturing a data set that will NOT become an RGB image until an algorithm is applied.

Cheers - #19