Thread: R3D Source Settings not matching in Premiere

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 R3D Source Settings not matching in Premiere 
    When I import my R3D footage into premiere, the RAW settings specifically the image pipeline do not match what is shot. I have tried importing multiple ways and from 2 different R3D's (Gemini and Scarlett). Whether it is IPP2 or Legacy the gamma curve on both is switched.

I have the most updated premiere, anyone else having these issues, it is a huge pain!

Thanks for the help.

Nick,

Do you have one of the sample files that you can share that is exhibiting this problem? And are these files coming straight from the camera or from Redcine-X.

I am having the same issue. i didnt think much of it on our last project because I thought maybe I did something wrong but this current project has more shots. Went into RedCine first to do all the color correction, then I went into premiere loaded them up and they are not graded at all. if I load redcine back up, i can see its still corrected. normally I can just save and exit redcine and when I load all the colors drop in.

Just now I was doing a test and for the heck of it, I clicked as shot - and it changed to the color corrected version. So maybe Adobe premiere has switched how it reads and has the options switched. This way sucks because now I have to "set as shot" for all imported one by one.
    Attached Images

Jamiel, I think this is what both you and Nick are probably experiencing.

From Loren Simons from Red:

"RED is making changes to the default behavior of R3D’s in all third party applications to unify the results and deliver consistent and predictable behavior no matter what software you are working in.

All R3D’s will be decoded in software such as Premiere, Resolve, and Final Cut Pro as Log3G10/REDWideGamutRGB by default.

Most software, such as Resolve and Final Cut Pro, have ways to customize how R3D’s are decoded project or system wide - and so if a workflow that is different from the default is wanted, it can be configured applied to all future R3Ds in all future projects.

Premiere is the one exception to this - with neither a true color managed workflow capability nor ability to change R3D decode parameters project wide.

However, there is still a suitable workflow for Premiere which maintains true flexibility in color grading and is simple to implement.

Our recommendation is to generate the desired IPP2 Output Transform from REDCINE-X, for example a Rec.709 with Medium Contrast and Soft Highlight Roll-off. Once that .cube is created, select that as the Creative LUT for one of your clips in Premiere’s Lumetri Panel. After that, simply save that Lumetri Panel as a Lumetri Preset by right clicking the top of the panel.

This Lumetri Preset can either be applied to all of your R3D clips in your bin, or, the Preset can be dropped into a top level Adjustment Layer which runs the length of your timeline - automatically applying it to any image beneath it in the timeline.

Either of these methods will delivery you a proper image, with the added benefit of still maintaining the full flexibility of your logarithmic image behind the resulting image when changing your Lumetri values.

Previously, with images coming into Premiere directly decoded into say Rec.709 Medium Contrast Soft Highlight Roll-off, any adjustments made in Lumetri would happen on-top of that image, severely restricting your latitude in post."

Jamiel,

If you look all the way down to the very bottom of the "Master" window you'll probably notice that its no longer "Rec709" and "BT1886" but "REDwideGamutRGB" and "Log3G10" or something like that . This is because like Loren's post says, R3Ds will now default to the IPP2 Workflow in all third-party NLE's

If you didn't want to use the IPP2 workflow and instead you wanted to use a typical REC709 and BT1886 workflow, just change it back

Last edited by rand thompson; 06-01-2021 at 07:50 PM.

To use the IPP2 Workflow in Premiere do the following

1) If it has not already been changed, At the very bottom of the "Master" Settings window change "Color Space" to "REDWideGamut RGB" and change "Gamma Curve" to "Log 3G10"

(2) Next, down around the area where you guys import media, Click on the icon of the folded page and choose "Adjustment Layer". Now drag that Adjustment layer over the top of your R3D clip.

(3) Now, Under "Lumetri Color" then under "Creative" then "Look", "Browse" for the "Red IPP2 Output Transform Lut" you want to apply to the "Adjustment Layer" and you are done.

Your can make your own IPP2 Transform Luts In Redcine-X Pro

Last edited by rand thompson; 06-01-2021 at 10:14 PM.