Thread: Red Cine X deleted R3Ds???

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Red Cine X deleted R3Ds??? 
    I was browsing R3D files in the first window of red cine X, I wanted to remove one R3D file from the browsing list, so
    I did that and now the R3D is not on the card. What kind of behavior is this? Red Cine X shouldn't delete media off the card, that's nuts!!!

Are you saying you deleted a clip from "File Browser" rather than removing a clip from your bin?

It being a File Browser I believe prompts you "Do you want to move this shot to the trash".

In which case you can restore it. This is the behavior of other file browsers, don't know what is unexpected in this case.

File Browser Deletion = Deleting Clip from Media
    Project or Bin Deletion = Deleting Clip from Project or Bin
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Hi Phil,

Yes, I was multitasking and accidentally deleted it, my fault. However, the R3Ds did not end up in the trash, that was the first place I looked,
    they simply disappeared. "Undo" didn't do anything, and I repeat the files were not in the trash.

I was able to recover it via RED UNDEAD but for christ sake why is this even an option in RED CINE?
    Why don't they at least appear in the trash?

It is very easy to accidentally delete files this way, RED or someone who has REDs ear please tell them to modify this behavior so it doesn't delete clips off the mag/drive. I'm surprised more people haven't had this happen.

Joe - I don't want to be severe but IMO you need to turn the finger you are pointing at RED around and point it squarely at yourself. With any tool, knowing how to run it is fundamental. Said differently, when you have power you must exercise care/caution/responsibility. As Phil asked - didn't RCXP warn you? YOU deleted the files not RED.

BTW: There is no software fix for this kind of thing if it is desirable for the software to do something. No possibility of error only comes from not doing anything BUT that's also an error.

Mark, I said it was my fault. However, it's legitimate to question why even have the ability to delete files off the mag in the program.
    Who would purposefully want to delete files this way?

I was curious how other programs that I have access to behave:

In Premiere's Media browser, one can browse through the files, but there's no ability to delete them.

In Resolve's Media browser, one can delete the files but it gives you a decent size warning saying you're permanently deleting the files.

In Redcine, you get a warning but it's very small "Are you sure you want to move selected file to the trash?" Click yes and it doesn't move the file to the trash, the file just disappears!

I understand this may have been rectified in REDCINE 52 and the files do go to the trash but I was using a different machine with REDCINE 51 at the time.

I wasn't trying to "beat you up" but, rather, just trying to point out that the responsibility is with the editor. I like the ability to deal with files in several ways (deletion from the NLE or actual file deletion).
    To be very clear - I am sorry if I offended.