Thread: Camera rigged upside down, how to flip recorded R3D file?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Camera rigged upside down, how to flip recorded R3D file? 
    Hi,

We have the RED HELIUM rigged upside down.

Is there a way to flip the image on the Helium menus so the captured footage the actual R3D is recorded upright
    and not upside down? We were able to flip the image on the monitor but the R3D still records upside down.

I know it can be flipped in Red Cine but we want the R3Ds to record upright in camera.

On the Monstro one can do this:
    Go to Menu > Settings > Project > Sensor.
    Select the Flip/Mirror Scan Direction check box.

Oddly this "Sensor" button is missing in our Helium menu.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Menu > Settings > Project > Sensor.

Not seeing it either, just the monitor flip.

Helium sensor.

Firmware v.7.4.1

The only options are - Menu > Settings > Project > Framerate/Exposure/Timecode/Slate/Format.

Same on my end Les, very odd.

I wonder if it is simply not possible to do with the RED HELIUM?

Is there a way I can flip the files in REDCINE on the Mini MAG and save it to the metadata so clips then become upright when offloaded?
    Last edited by Joe Riggs; 03-02-2021 at 05:02 PM.

Hi Joe,

The R3D metadata has 'Flip Vertical & Flip Horizontal' categories, so some RED cameras must be able to do it.

I just had a look, and if I open an R3D on a RedMag using the file browser in RCX (just double-click on the R3D in the RCX file browser, don't drag it onto the timeline), then select Flip in the Framing section, that automatically generates an RMD file in the R3D's individual folder on the RedMag, which then results in the original R3D maintaining its flipped orientation when opened again.

So, yeah you can do what you were asking, as long as that RMD sidecar file remains with the original R3D.

I don't have a Helium to try this, but could you use the search function in the menu for "Flip/Mirror"? Might be the fastest way to find it?
    Benjamin Jarvis - Multiple hats kind of guy

Hydrogen Houdini #62

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Jarvis View Post
    I don't have a Helium to try this, but could you use the search function in the menu for "Flip/Mirror"? Might be the fastest way to find it?
    As far as I know know, there is no option to flip the sensor in the Helium so that the R3D file is captured upright in camera.
    There is in the Monstro but not in the Helium.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Riggs View Post
    As far as I know know, there is no option to flip the sensor in the Helium so that the R3D file is captured upright in camera.
    There is in the Monstro but not in the Helium.
    this was possible even on DSMC1..i dont think you cant do this on Helium its crazy. ( dont own helium so i cant comment )

Searched the in-camera manual and it does say how to make the adjustment, which is just as Joe was originally trying, but the Flip option isn't there to choose.

The monitor image flip can be done, but not the sensor flip/line direction change that gets recorded to the R3D.

Message to the RED firmware programmers: Is this a possibility on your end? Can you guys compile a few lines of code back into your next firmware update please?
    Last edited by Neil Abeynayake; 03-05-2021 at 03:21 PM.

Interesting side point on this which has caught me out doing the ‘sensor flip’ on DSMC1 Dragon...

When you flip the sensor, so that the image records correctly while the camera is inverted, it seems that the calibration map is not also inverted. When studying the captured footage later I noticed multiple dead pixels which were not apparent on the same shoot when the camera was in normal ‘unflipped’ mode.

This ‘gotcha’ may be one reason not to offer in-camera sensor flipping. For those doing it on older models - remember to store an additional black shade calibration in flipped mode and load that up every time you go inverted.

To avoid trouble, I kind of agree that just flipping the monitor outputs and inverting the captured footage in post could be the best bet.