Thread: After market vs Red Canon EF Mounts

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 After market vs Red Canon EF Mounts 
    My Red Epic Dragon is a PL mount. I have Canon Cinema Glass which are EF mount. I pick up an aftermarket EF mount off Ebay. My Canon lenses don't seem to like to go into focus.

A person I was talking with thought that maybe I should get the Red Digital Cinema DSMC Canon Mount (Aluminum) that has Electronic Communication for the EF lenses vs using the aftermarket EF mount that has no Electronic Communication.

I was planning on doing a Back Focus this weekend, but if it looks like that I actually need to get the Red Mount then I will wait until it comes in to see if I need to do back focus. On the Canon C300 mkii the Canon Cinema Lens work great without any focus issues. The Canon lens are 15.5-47mm and 14.5 -60mm

Any feedback?

Which aftermarket mount is it?

I would probably just stick to the RED version for Epic bodies. In the case of the Red One MX, I went aftermarket because it was my only choice and Leitax happened to make a good one. There are some reputable aftermarket mount makers but be careful and only go with ones that have a good reputation. Not worth saving a little bit of money if you can't reach infinity or have other problems.
    Steve Sherrick

This is the after market one I bought;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-E...72.m2749.l2649

Here is the one from RED on B&H. You are right I should just stick with the RED version. If it get me my tight focus it would be worth every bit it cost.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...non_mount.html

Never heard of that brand, so yeah I agree go with RED, although i know it's a steep price point for a mount.
    Steve Sherrick

I got in the Red Canon Mount today and now the lens are focusing. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Potts View Post
    I got in the Red Canon Mount today and now the lens are focusing. Thanks
    Awesome, good to hear!
    Steve Sherrick