Thread: Best Daylight Viewable Komodo Monitor Option

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1 Best Daylight Viewable Komodo Monitor Option 
    Senior Member Ketch Rossi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ITALY | USA
    Posts
    14,743
    Hey fellow Redusers,
    I am starting to gather and prep to test some Daylight Viewable Monitors for a Multi/Komodo set up.
    Wondering if some of you can share thoughts on personal experience.

    I am considering both the 5" & 7" options, but preferably stay as compact as possible.

    •SmallHD (Not sure I'll really use their Red Camera Control Protocol)
    •TVlogic ( Positive spect is that they offer a BP series plate)
    •Atomos (Won't make use of their Recorder but it might be a good option)
    •Portkeys (thanks Steve for the suggestion 5" 2200 Nit it's great)
    •Feelworld (thanks Dana for the suggestion which led me to the new 6" 2600 nits)

    Are currently those I am looking to test Indoors/Outdoors.

    My ideal set up would be to place the Monitor on Top/Rear of the Komodo with some kinda of Swing Arm to allow the Monitor to be Tilted/Angled for Top/Strait/Bottom Viewing Angles.

    I would most likely use it most with 3-Stud Mini Battery on Komodo and power it via D-Tap so not to have additional bulk of an on board battery and allowing to keep it closer to the camera itself.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member Steve Sherrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,180
    Add Portkeys to the list too.
    Steve Sherrick
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Obviously, SmallHD is always great but also expensive. I just used the Feelworld FW279S on a shoot for the Komodo and loved it for several reasons:
    + 7" High Bright for outdoors
    + SDI in/out (HDMI also)
    + Lightweight
    + Only $340 on Amazon

    All points were equally import to me. Brightness, of course, for being outdoors. The monitor is plastic which makes it lightweight which is perfect for the Komodo as we use it as a handheld C cam and want to keep the weight down. As soon as you get into SmallHD, you will end up with a metal chassis (which normally is very ideal for the ruggedness) which means adding 2 pounds or so to the Komodo. Being that it is only $340, if we break it because it's not metal, then no big deal. But it's really going to take a fall or crash to break it.

    Haven't used TV logic.

    Tried the Atomos Shogun 7" for it's monitoring capabilities also but it did not play well with Komodo. It always had some kind of LUT or something going on with the picture even though we were feeding it a native signal from Komodo. Made sure no Atomos LUT was applied and also did a factory reset and firmware update. Atomos said the monitor was not compatible with Komodo. I explained that we were just using it as a monitor and not for it's recording capabilities. They said to return it. Which is weird because I also have the original Atomos Shogun from 5 years ago and the picture was fine (pretty much matched the Komodo built-in display) and we also used the Sumo 19 with it and had no problems.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member Ketch Rossi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ITALY | USA
    Posts
    14,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post
    Add Portkeys to the list too.
    Thanks Steve, will do.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member Ketch Rossi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ITALY | USA
    Posts
    14,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana Neibert View Post
    Obviously, SmallHD is always great but also expensive. I just used the Feelworld FW279S on a shoot for the Komodo and loved it for several reasons:
    + 7" High Bright for outdoors
    + SDI in/out (HDMI also)
    + Lightweight
    + Only $340 on Amazon

    All points were equally import to me. Brightness, of course, for being outdoors. The monitor is plastic which makes it lightweight which is perfect for the Komodo as we use it as a handheld C cam and want to keep the weight down. As soon as you get into SmallHD, you will end up with a metal chassis (which normally is very ideal for the ruggedness) which means adding 2 pounds or so to the Komodo. Being that it is only $340, if we break it because it's not metal, then no big deal. But it's really going to take a fall or crash to break it.

    Haven't used TV logic.

    Tried the Atomos Shogun 7" for it's monitoring capabilities also but it did not play well with Komodo. It always had some kind of LUT or something going on with the picture even though we were feeding it a native signal from Komodo. Made sure no Atomos LUT was applied and also did a factory reset and firmware update. Atomos said the monitor was not compatible with Komodo. I explained that we were just using it as a monitor and not for it's recording capabilities. They said to return it. Which is weird because I also have the original Atomos Shogun from 5 years ago and the picture was fine (pretty much matched the Komodo built-in display) and we also used the Sumo 19 with it and had no problems.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts Dana,
    Much appreciated.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    1,419
    I thought with the Wifi to your iPhone and the LCD display I wouldn’t want a monitor, but I’ve now ordered the limited edition Small HD Stormtrooper OLED as I have one for my Ranger (not white) and found it to be good, albeit a bit heavy, especially if you want to put a battery on it. I have the Vaxis wireless transmitter with V-Mount, and use a shark fin with D-Tap to run the monitor -very back heavy!

    The OLED is very bright, and I really like having a camera control onscreen without having to interface with my phone or go to the LCD screen...initially a nice gimmick, and one can use in a tight spot, but when you’re a professional and every second of messing around counts I find it’s best to just make it as familiar and easy as possible.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member Ketch Rossi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ITALY | USA
    Posts
    14,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Torrie View Post
    I thought with the Wifi to your iPhone and the LCD display I wouldn’t want a monitor, but I’ve now ordered the limited edition Small HD Stormtrooper OLED as I have one for my Ranger (not white) and found it to be good, albeit a bit heavy, especially if you want to put a battery on it. I have the Vaxis wireless transmitter with V-Mount, and use a shark fin with D-Tap to run the monitor -very back heavy!

    The OLED is very bright, and I really like having a camera control onscreen without having to interface with my phone or go to the LCD screen...initially a nice gimmick, and one can use in a tight spot, but when you’re a professional and every second of messing around counts I find it’s best to just make it as familiar and easy as possible.
    Thanks for your thoughts Jeremy,
    I do like SmallHD for many reasons, but as I look for a Daylight viewable Monitor without bulky cumbersome hoods, in a compact form to match the Komodo footprint, I believe it will be best I stay with a 5" Monitor which puts a limited choice on what's available Brightness wise.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    4,783
    I'm also on the hunt for a relatively cheap monitor that maximizes the screen area but does not have a large physical size. Will use it both normally and on my RS2, so it really needs to be lightweight, which is the most important thing I'm after.

    A 7" monitor that is still small and lightweight would be the best option. Something I can put on a Red Arm in order to be able to view from any angle of the camera.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member Ketch Rossi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    ITALY | USA
    Posts
    14,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    I'm also on the hunt for a relatively cheap monitor that maximizes the screen area but does not have a large physical size. Will use it both normally and on my RS2, so it really needs to be lightweight, which is the most important thing I'm after.

    A 7" monitor that is still small and lightweight would be the best option. Something I can put on a Red Arm in order to be able to view from any angle of the camera.
    After checking various models out, based on weight and size,
    But most importantly brightness for Daylight Viewing, I ended up getting the "Feelworld" new 6" with 2600 nits, which I think it's the perfect compromise.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    4,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketch Rossi View Post
    After checking various models out, based on weight and size,
    But most importantly brightness for Daylight Viewing, I ended up getting the "Feelworld" new 6" with 2600 nits, which I think it's the perfect compromise.
    You mean this one? FEELWORLD LUT6S 6 INCH

    Exactly the one I had my eye for as well :) I'm just curious as to how it can be so damn cheap compared to the others like SmallHD? Sure, I guess it's not as accurate and calibrated, but I rarely find that super important on-set if it's not like, a pack shot or something, but it's always gonna be adjusted in post anyway so the important part is to be able to view the contrast curve so nothing clips.

    You happy with yours? How's weight and stuff, accuracy?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts