Thread: First Look: Breakthrough Filters Direct Drop-In Filters (behind the lens)

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 First Look: Breakthrough Filters Direct Drop-In Filters (behind the lens) 
    Something I am pleased to finally share and talk about that I've been testing for a long, long time now.

Been using Breakthrough Filter's X4 NDs in front of my lenses for a bit now and their performance is very, very good. They teased and even shipped Direct Drop-In NDs and other filters as well.

But we need to talk about DSMC, DSMC2, and Komodo.

The urge for internal NDs and behind the lens ND solutions has been rather high in the RED community, which is one of the reasons I've been testing these things so aggressively.

So to that end, let me be the first to announce and share the RED DSMC2 DDI PL Mount:

And yes, that's on RED Monstro 8K VV. Those of you with keen eyes you will notice that is a Variable ND in there. If you've known me you know I've been highly critical of various VNDs on the market due to many of the things just don't work or create ideal results when compared to straight NDs. Color shifts across the density range, X-Patterns, weird artifacts, inconsistency in sharpness, etc.

Whelp. Let me show you one of my first test sets:

That's an effective 11 stop range with no discernable shift on RED Monstro 8K VV. Only thing I can really see is a very subtle vignette at near maximum density. At the moment there's a subtle color shift between "clear" and VND, but as you can see by the Color Temperature divergence, it's an extremely minimal correction.

The direct drop-in concept will work with various other cameras which also occasionally have not-so-great built in ND solutions. These guys make very, very good straight ND filters as well as currently the best performing VND I've ever tested. Not to mention other fun things you can possibly place behind the lens. This is huge news for RED shooters, but it's been something on the minds of other camera shooters as well.

This is one of a few prototypes I've been testing and a few others have been testing as well. I don't screw around with NDs and feel it's a pretty important one to finally be able to share. It's close, real close.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

*reserved for more things.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Oh wow. This is great news. Thanks for sharing Phil.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Any word if they are making an EOS mount that passses on autofocus?
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

This is exactly what my Monster has been missing Phil!

Nice Phil,
    They have been doing incredible work.

With Komodo made no sense for me to use standard MB's + Front Filters.
    So was either them or Kippertie, I chose them for various reasons.

It's great to see integration in to the DSMC2 system as well.

I too have been testing this mount. The mount Phil and I have (the only two right now) are the 3rd iteration of full prototypes I have tried. as Phils VND test shows - we have some very color neutral results but the images speak for themsevles. back to testing, I hope to share some stuff here on this thread too as time goes on, albeit my tests are probably not as good as Phil heh. Its pretty exciting seeing these filters for more than just RED KOMODO :)
    Tim Daust
    Reelmind Studios
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K S35 #6197 "Wicked"
    DSMC2 GEMINI 5K S35 #15175 "Jade"
    KOMODO 6K #0011 "Tangie"
    @TimDaust @ReelmindStudios

Exactly: it’s great to know that my inversion in filters for my Komodo would work too in my DragonX.
    Thank you Phil and Tim for the testing.
    And it would be cool to have the EF version for DSMC2 too

Very exciting!!! Any idea when these will be shipping? Sounds like a killer group buy potential:) Thanks Phil for posting!!!
    KENNY MOSHER
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    https://www.kmodop.com
    @kmoshowdown

I have used Breakthrough filters in still photography for many years and have been convinced that they are the most color neutral option I have been able to find, do I am not surprised that they would have a great solution for DMSC2. On the other hand, I currently use Kippertie and love the quality of their PL mount and find the removable filter set they offer along with their unique diffusion filters for indoor work to be fantastic and cover most all scenarios. But a variable filter option is an interesting and potentially very useful consideration, although I have not found variable filtration to be as good overall as fixed value filters, but this might be an exception.
    DSMC2 Helium 1402
    DSMC2 Helium 6423