Thread: First Look: Breakthrough Filters Direct Drop-In Filters (behind the lens)

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Neato!

Any limitations in terms of lenses which can be installed to the PL version ? In terms of rear cone depth allowable for these ?

Best,

Dan

SNAP .... Well sort of. The BM Ursa Mini camera family has a screw-in anti-reflection cone which fits inside of the camera throat. I had a spare from a two-into-one wrecked camera rebuild so have tried a Formatt Hitech Prostop IRND3 cut disk mounted on the rear of one cone which screws in conveniently through the EF-Mount ring itself. This is not as conveneient as a drop-in but can be changed in about a minute. The EF-Mount had to be shimmed forward to compensate for the thickness of the filter. Drop-ins that the RED family enables would be so much more convenient. I imagine some cool experimental effects would be enabled with special slides, maybe even faux-cinemascope flares with a fine clear monofilament thread.

Is it compatible with DSMC1? Is there EF coming? And what's the price?

I presume this thing rocks better than the Motion Mount (*11* stops! No discernible resolution loss! Yowza!)

Also are they planning on making a standalone vND? In 77mm~82mm? (Cause again, 11 stops; if it's similarly priced to Tiffen, why would you go elsewhere?)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyons Collister, ASC View Post
    This is exactly what my Monster has been missing Phil!
    Yep. A whole bunch of people have been looking for something like this. Outside of the VND I'm pretty fond the straight NDs as well. There's more coming on this front too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Dishler View Post
    I have used Breakthrough filters in still photography for many years and have been convinced that they are the most color neutral option I have been able to find
    Agreed. I've seen spectral as well as put them against every other filter out there. They are very good. It's nice to see a company tackle filtration this hard in the cinema space.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kanes View Post
    Neato!

Any limitations in terms of lenses which can be installed to the PL version ? In terms of rear cone depth allowable for these ?
    Yes and likely. Don't take this as hard information because this is still a prototype, but at the moment it's about 24mm from flange to filter, which should give you an idea once everything is locked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Is it compatible with DSMC1? Is there EF coming? And what's the price?

I presume this thing rocks better than the Motion Mount (*11* stops! No discernible resolution loss! Yowza!)

Also are they planning on making a standalone vND? In 77mm~82mm? (Cause again, 11 stops; if it's similarly priced to Tiffen, why would you go elsewhere?)
    Yes to DSMC compatibility. Other things are coming in terms of mounts. Their RF>PL is about $700, final price on DSMC2 likely hasn't been fully locked, but I'd expect it around there.

More range than the Motion Mount, but obviously doesn't do any of the shutter related things like Soft or Square.

They make stand alone VND stuff, but part of why this works so well is where the filter is in the optical chain.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Do we have any timeframe for when these might be available to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post

They make stand alone VND stuff....
    You mean as an upcoming product? I've never seen a Breakthrough screw on vND and I don't see any on their website now either.

What have you observed with polarization effects. Aside from color, sharpness, and vignette, the other big downside of vND is the built in polarizer. With a rotating vND such as SLR Magic, you can adjust the amount of polarization by rotating like a CPL. With a drop in, that can't be done. Have they simply designed it to be permanently in the position with the least amount of pola going on?

Am I right in thinking this is an alternative to the Kippertie Revolva?
    But more flexible, as all kinds of drop-in filters will be available?
    And at a much lower price?
    What's the catch?
    I want one.
    Nils J. Nesse

Epic-W Helium 8K in Bergen, Norway | Red Pro Primes | Tokina Cinema 16-28 & 50-135

Thanks for this insight Phil! Can we look forward to a Group Buy?

Want. :)

PS - A Nikon version for my Otus glass would be stellar.

I'd buy one immediately, if this one supports DSMC1, and is ok with 18-85 T2.9 Red Pro Zoom