Thread: shoot ready out of the box?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 shoot ready out of the box? 
    I guy I somewhat know is planning on getting a Komodo from B&H at $6k and said it is camera ready out of the box to start filming when it arrives. I told him that I didn't think the camera coming out of the box is shoot ready and that he would need more accessories before he can actually start filming and the cost is going to be more than $6l. I could be wrong?

What Komodo has on it:

RF Mount, Dual Canon BP Battery Plate, built in top LCD w/ touch control, SDI up to 4K out, EXT port, DC IN, 3.5mm stereo audio jack in, headphone jack, dual scratch mics. Comes with the AC adapter for DC IN.

What you'll want to start shooting:

- A compatible CFast 2.0 Card
    - A compatible Canon BP series battery
    - A lens that fits on the RF Mount

A subtle thing worth noting. RED Control is free in the Android Play Store and Apple IOS App Store. This allows for wireless camera control and even monitoring for free as long as you have a smartphone that works.

What you can do from there, accessorizing with various battery mounts, cages, lens mount adapters, etc.

There's FAQs at the top of this sub-forum that can help guide some of those journeys. There's a bunch of info now on RED.com for compatible products and such.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks Phil

You need a real monitor, the live viewing on a smart phone is not fast enough for normal production use.

Agreed Ash. Ready out of the box and practical setups are I guess different things. But I dance between 5" and 7" on Komodo with 7" being used more often than not despite camera being small.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

YMMV, but I ran some rough numbers several months ago before it released, and despite owning a ton of gear already, I think I was looking at somewhere around $10K-$12K minimum to put the Komodo into a basic shooting state. And one of my buddies that already owns several camera packages, too, including a Gemini, probably spent somewhere around that on theirs.