Thread: Komodo Antenna Boost Options?!?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    What will you be using the singnal for? If video viewing on phones then the vaxis Atom for Komodo is a great option, 3 phones with less lag then the signal direct from camera. But no guy to control the camera.

Best picture to phone I find Dji raveneye to have, great little box for the price but needs a hdmi feed, which I can get from the vaxis or other ski to hdmi but not directly from camera.
    I don't want to add anything to it Björn.
    I went ahed and ordered the Lollipops 5.8G Antennas.

I might need to add Wireless Video for Monitors for FF etc. but not now.

Disappointed with the signal strength from the Komodo but also now completely addicted to myself and others on set being able to monitor on their phone, I ordered the Crystal Swift 800 Pro, it was the only affordable option I could find that streamed to devices, had an SDI loop, a variety of power options and dumb little thing, but has the black/red color motif. After reading on here that the Komodo antennae was removable (duh!) I immediately switched it out to one of the antennae from the Swift and there was an instant improvement, have yet to use in the field, but wish I knew this sooner before buying the Swift. Though it’s a very handy little system. Also props to the Raveneye, which for the price is pretty amazing, but only one device, which is a huge let down.

PS anyone considering the Swift, try order through B&H or Adorama, otherwise you will have to rely on your reseller to provide you customer support, and you NEED the firmware update for it to work on devices, and it’s not available online. Quirks of low budget gear.

Sorry if this was somewhat of a thread hijack as OP has solved the issue, but just FYI for anyone that stumbles on this thread.

And to the OP make sure your lollipops are female, recently made that mistake 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Trishul Thejasvi View Post
    Disappointed with the signal strength from the Komodo but also now completely addicted to myself and others on set being able to monitor on their phone, I ordered the Crystal Swift 800 Pro, it was the only affordable option I could find that streamed to devices, had an SDI loop, a variety of power options and dumb little thing, but has the black/red color motif. After reading on here that the Komodo antennae was removable (duh!) I immediately switched it out to one of the antennae from the Swift and there was an instant improvement, have yet to use in the field, but wish I knew this sooner before buying the Swift. Though it’s a very handy little system. Also props to the Raveneye, which for the price is pretty amazing, but only one device, which is a huge let down.

PS anyone considering the Swift, try order through B&H or Adorama, otherwise you will have to rely on your reseller to provide you customer support, and you NEED the firmware update for it to work on devices, and it’s not available online. Quirks of low budget gear.

Sorry if this was somewhat of a thread hijack as OP has solved the issue, but just FYI for anyone that stumbles on this thread.

And to the OP make sure your lollipops are female, recently made that mistake ��

I'm good with the signal off the Komodo,
    But for this project I need it a little stronger so the Lollipops will help.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    I tried just screwing off the antenna on my router and put it on my Komodo and it worked well. But there's always stuttering and freezing regardless of infrastructure, antenna, Ad-Hoc etc.
    I'm not sure how to really improve on those things since they seem related to software issues in camera and in Red Control. Hopefully, those things will be improved in future firmware updates and they're affecting the performance of the Komodo Link as well.

Here's an example of the Link performance which is only worsened in live streaming mode.

"Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    I tried just screwing off the antenna on my router and put it on my Komodo and it worked well. But there's always stuttering and freezing regardless of infrastructure, antenna, Ad-Hoc etc.
    I'm not sure how to really improve on those things since they seem related to software issues in camera and in Red Control. Hopefully, those things will be improved in future firmware updates and they're affecting the performance of the Komodo Link as well.

Here's an example of the Link performance which is only worsened in live streaming mode.

For my needs the signal will only be used to Start/Stop all cameras contemporarily, so I really am not looking at Monitoring.
    I hope the Lollipops will do just that.

I just need a good signal camera from the camera, but I am also testing various options that do not add bulk to the camera build up.

I want to keep it as compact as possible while fully complying to my needs for this specific project.

Hi Ketch,

Let us know how it goes! Good luck.

Craig Lees
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Lees View Post
    Hi Ketch,

Let us know how it goes! Good luck.

Craig Lees
    UK
    Will do Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by Ketch Rossi View Post
    For my needs the signal will only be used to Start/Stop all cameras contemporarily, so I really am not looking at Monitoring.
    I hope the Lollipops will do just that.

I just need a good signal camera from the camera, but I am also testing various options that do not add bulk to the camera build up.

I want to keep it as compact as possible while fully complying to my needs for this specific project.
    Putting a router antenna on the camera did improve signal strength and it is pretty low-key anyway since any monitor or such on top will have the same height or above the antenna. But the lollipop antenna seems like a better choice. Interested to know if the lollipop style antenna is preferable to any other? I guess it's a star-shaped shape inside the cylinder which I guess would mean optimal signal "capture" and "transmission", but antenna tech isn't something I'm an expert at.

The other part is the phone strength. I've seen that my iPhone 11 Max has a worse signal strength than my Hydrogen, but is there any kind of third-party antenna to use with phones to boost their signal? For me, it's all about boosting a stable video signal so if Red ever improves the stutter and freezes that can be seen on the Link and wireless, getting a good wireless signal that doesn't interrupt is key. If I could turn my Hydrogen into a SmallHD/Teradek kind of wireless monitor, that would be a nice way to revive it as a director's monitor.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."

The Komodo manual says if you want video streaming the best is 5G. If you want long range for camera control the best is 2G. Many router antennas are dual band, but not all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance Colvig View Post
    The Komodo manual says if you want video streaming the best is 5G. If you want long range for camera control the best is 2G. Many router antennas are dual band, but not all.
    You mean that the lollipop antenna might only be for 5Ghz and not work with 2.8Ghz?