Thread: What are the most "clinical" lenses

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    5,331
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...120medical.htm

    Oh... wait... not that kind of clinical... my bad.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickWebb View Post
    I would probably lean towards the Zeiss Milvus lenses. There are pretty clean all around.
    Milvus, at least some focal length are exact same glas as supreme prime so, yes supreme prime is as clinical as milvus and has more focal lengths.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt W. View Post
    Thanks, everyone. Interesting answers and it has me thinking. I want a "vintage" but digital look to something and am going to shoot Alexa or Amira and am now choosing between Lomo and Zeiss standard speeds (can't afford Cooke, or maybe I could rent them) at least in my head. But my widest Lomo is 22mm whereas Zeiss has a nice 16mm. :(

    Maybe I will rent an Amira and Cookes. But I wonder what else will work.

    For something else, I want the most "digital" look possible. A blue tint is a start. And will shoot 6K rather than Alexa.

    I agree, Sigma Art was my first thought but it's not clinical in a "bad way" except that green flare I dislike. I think the 18-35mm f1.8 is a great looking lens except for that. Best lens for the money regardless IMO.

    So... what word would you use to describe Samyang?

    I dismissed this:

    https://yannickkhong.com/blog/2015/1...eath-of-3d-pop

    But then I took a 10-18mm Canon zoom, 18-35mm Sigma Art lens, 24mm f2.0 Nikkor lens with a wide angle adapter, and I forget what else. Possibly a 18-55mm kit zoom. But the 10-18mm Canon zoom was among the better performers, but had a "flat" feel to it. The Sigma and Nikkor both had "depth" but the Nikkor was a very poor performer wide open. I think standard speeds and Cookes have a good feel to them, too. They're not worlds apart imo.

    We did this not so scientific but to me quite telling lens test the other day for a Tv series that want a somewhat retro / more arty then clean look. The DP wants the spherical Kowas, I tried to convince him to go for our EE FD´s but he will likely go for the kowas that they used for last season. This was all with komodo that they will use for the show, but the FD´s cover FF as well.

    https://vimeo.com/523040287

    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member Steve Sherrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,180
    MattW, not quite following. So you want it to look clinical as in almost too good or as in no character?
    Steve Sherrick
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post
    MattW, not quite following. So you want it to look clinical as in almost too good or as in no character?
    Yes, I want it to look flat and bad while still being properly exposed and technically fine. I've made up my mind but am curious what others think. This is why I mention Samyang. It was fine, it performs fine, but it's cheap. CP2s I did not really like nor MP but they seem fine on Alexa, maybe only because Alexa is a bit soft.

    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    We did this not so scientific but to me quite telling lens test the other day for a Tv series that want a somewhat retro / more arty then clean look. The DP wants the spherical Kowas, I tried to convince him to go for our EE FD´s but he will likely go for the kowas that they used for last season. This was all with komodo that they will use for the show, but the FD´s cover FF as well.

    https://vimeo.com/523040287

    The Kowas do look good but they look strange. So much CA. Cooke I remember has much less. FDs I cannot make up my mind on. I think I like them best when they're wide open, but I generally don't like "clinical." Those and the Kowas are my favorite.
    Last edited by Matt W.; 03-17-2021 at 04:20 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickWebb View Post
    I would probably lean towards the Zeiss Milvus lenses. There are pretty clean all around.
    Aren’t the Milvus in essence less-sharp Otus?

    If so, and if sharp makes clinical, Otus would be even more clinical than Milvus.

    My understanding is that Otus is the sharpest lens Zeiss has ever made, cinema glass included.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by John David Pope View Post
    Aren’t the Milvus in essence less-sharp Otus?

    If so, and if sharp makes clinical, Otus would be even more clinical than Milvus.

    My understanding is that Otus is the sharpest lens Zeiss has ever made, cinema glass included.
    I think the Milvus has more CA... Almost as sharp but not as extremely corrected.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member Steve Sherrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,180
    The Otus are extremely sharp but I don’t think they lack some character and they have some pop to them from my initial testing. On my EVA1 which is closer to Alexa in terms of sharpness the Otus lenses literally change the camera. It’s like adding some post sharpening (in a good way) but it’s the lens doing it. Even when I compare my Sigma 40 to it, it’s like wow, the Otus are just different league in just about every way.
    Steve Sherrick
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post
    The Otus are extremely sharp but I don’t think they lack some character and they have some pop to them from my initial testing. On my EVA1 which is closer to Alexa in terms of sharpness the Otus lenses literally change the camera. It’s like adding some post sharpening (in a good way) but it’s the lens doing it. Even when I compare my Sigma 40 to it, it’s like wow, the Otus are just different league in just about every way.
    That's impressive. The EVA1 is a great camera but imo sharper than Alexa, which is quite soft and a bit strange in that the sensor has a strong OLPF on top of being low res but then the ProRes image at least has added in-camera sharpening. I think if the Alexa weren't so popular this would be considered "weird."

    But that is very impressive, especially given that the 40mm is highly regarded.

    I was thinking of a flat "corporate video" vibe for a personal project. But it just made me curious what people meant when they said "clinical" pejoratively. I think it originally had something to do with how MPs look too sharp on digital, but that hasn't been my experience.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts