Thread: Reasons we bought a used Alexa Classic in 2021...

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Reasons we bought a used Alexa Classic in 2021... 
    What do you think of our reasoning / decision? Dumb? Makes sense? Don't care?

The Arri Alexa Classic kit we bought online was 5k USD with 8 memory cards (x4 64gb and x4 32gb) with high speed license, EF & PL mount, Pelican case, all necessary cables, less than 850 hours use...

I watched this today. I like your justification here. The camera is an amazing creation and what it can produce is truly awesome. Again, you gotta use the right tool for the right job! I think that it is a pretty good deal you got there for a German tank.

Watch your back shouldering that monster, mate.

One question: How's the EVF on the eye during use?

Take care!
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    Heapsgood Productions, Norway.
    (www.Heapsgood.no)
    EPIC-X #06833 "Monsta" & SCARLET-X #01773 "Scratch"
    Carl Zeiss, Voigtänder & Russian glass

I mean makes sense. Just be careful the sensor doesn't fail, as Arri won't cover it.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Did not watch the video but what handlebars did you buy?

I recently bought a 4:3 Plus and am looking for this one AKS still.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Sounds reasonable. AFAIK ProRes is really good, so I don't think that lack of RAW is a handicap. I wouldn't have one, but there's no doubt that at these prices, the value is terrific for how you're using it.

Some people are still using the old HD BMPCC. That also makes some sense, as it's very small and very capable. It's an order of magnitude cheaper and it has both RAW and ProRes.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Unsplash | Pinterest | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickWebb View Post
    I watched this today. I like your justification here. The camera is an amazing creation and what it can produce is truly awesome. Again, you gotta use the right tool for the right job! I think that it is a pretty good deal you got there for a German tank.

Watch your back shouldering that monster, mate.

One question: How's the EVF on the eye during use?

Take care!
    Thanks Patrick.. Yeah the Ergorig is needed lol. Really, really glad we bought it. I have a gratical eye, and that's better... But I'm very impressed with the quality of the Arri EVF... Just the eye cup is not as comfortable and you can bump it off easiy (I want to look at some other options there for eyecups... might just need a new one).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt W. View Post
    Did not watch the video but what handlebars did you buy?

I recently bought a 4:3 Plus and am looking for this one AKS still.
    No worries. Two of these https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-ex...ttes-1807.html

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    Sounds reasonable. AFAIK ProRes is really good, so I don't think that lack of RAW is a handicap. I wouldn't have one, but there's no doubt that at these prices, the value is terrific for how you're using it.

Some people are still using the old HD BMPCC. That also makes some sense, as it's very small and very capable. It's an order of magnitude cheaper and it has both RAW and ProRes.
    Yeah I certainly wouldn't be buying it to be our do everything corporate and doc camera that's for sure. I heard great things about the original BMPCC... Never used it though. I recall being really impressed by the first BMCC though.

Oh and I agree on prores, unless you get it REALLY wrong in camera (like push your tint or white balance in the complete wrong direction... or have no idea how to expose) ProResHQ gets the job done really well. (Yes R3d would be better but I can't have it all lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Butler View Post
    Thanks. Planning to buy these soon. Really appreciate it. Is that just half the arm and you need the handle, too?

I agree with your thinking in this video.

These are bargains if you know what you want. For me it is the familiarity of Log C ProRes. If you want something different, they're a dinosaur. Tempted to get a smaller Black Magic camera so I can have the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by Matt W.; 03-19-2021 at 12:22 AM.

Yeah the handles in the video are I think from a Nucleus M kit... I'm not sure Shane kitted those up.
    100% it's all about picking the camera/look and workflow that suits what you intend to use it for.
    The BMPCC 6k pro could be great once they work out the kinks in firmware. Otherwise the G2 is great though I have had some reliability issues.
    Has been great for some time now.