Thread: 5inch vs 7inch on camera monitor for the Komodo

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 5inch vs 7inch on camera monitor for the Komodo 
    Hi all,

I've ordered a 7inch SmallHD monitor for my Komodo, but the lead times are around 8 weeks, ouch.

All this waiting has got me thinking, is 7inch too large for an on-camera monitor for the Komodo?
    I've seen photographs online with the 5inch and it seems like the perfect size for the body, but I also prefer working with a larger monitor for framing and easier focus on smaller jobs.

Has anyone tried a 7inch monitor with the Komodo? Is it too large?
    I'm interested to hear people's opinions, see photos of rigs with a 7inch to make sure I've made the right choice.

The 5inch is in stock locally so if I switched I could start shooting right away.

Thanks!

To date I've used both. I'd say it's about 65-70% of time a 7", 30-35% a 5".

Don't think a 7" is too big, but I can say a 5" is smaller when you want to rig with more of a compact setup in mind. I prefer the 7" overall from a usability perspective. Not a shocker there.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks Phil,

I think I'll stick with the 7" as well. Definitely more usable and I'll very rarely use the komodo with just a lens, monitor, and bp batteries, so a 7" doesn't really change the overall rig size too much.

I used 7” on-cam monitors for years(the slightly ahead of its time, still my most beloved monitors, the smallHD DP7 Pro OLED touchscreen). Then smallHD came out with the Focus line of 5” monitors and I bought several of them and they became my go-to’s, because of their smaller size and ease of rigging.

Last weekend one of my Focus OLED SDI’s $h!t the bed. It started wigging out like someone was constantly touching the screen and zooming in on the image and changing pages, etc., so I broke out one of my DP7 Pro OLED’s(I carry both a DP7Pro and Focus 5 in each cam support bag). What a beast, after using the Focus 5’s for so long. Yes, it was easier to see and it was fine, as I was using it while I was on stix, but I don’t think I would want to run around handheld with it. At least not for long(and I say this as someone who’s average camera build is probably ~25-30lbs+).

the 6" FeelWorld LUT6S 6" 2600 cd/m 4K HDMI/3G-SDI is a good size compromise

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Poston View Post
    This is what I am currently testing, mainly for the good compromise and high brightness and an insane price.

I ordered one of these too. Hoping to love it. 5 can be a bit small. 7 is a bit big/heavy. For under $400 we'll see how the LUT6S pans out. Super bonus, it passes SDI through to HDMI output to use with the RS2. <<<--- EDIT: NO IT DOESN'T >>>

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Poston View Post

Sorry little off topic ....But can the small HD touch screen also be used for focus?

Has anybody tried the Osee G7 7'' Ultra-Bright 3000 Nits 19201200 ?

Does the toggle control work well for zooming in to check focus?

I have the Osee G7. For the price, it is fantastic.

The menu controls are not the most intuitive but once create a page with the tools you want (like peaking or histogram etc.) it is very easy to bring up and very easy to switch between pages aka "sets". Zooming is pretty straight forward using the joystick.

No touch screen but as mentioned for the price and brightness and putting in the RED LUT to match the screens, it is great.

I just wish they had a 5inch SDI version. I'd like something for run and gun setups.
    Movme inc.
    Scarlet-X, Epic-X, Dragon, Epic-W, Komodo
    MacBook Pro 6 core, FCP-X, OSEE, Dynacore Tiny Batteries, DJI RS2