Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Komoodo Beta 1.5 finally has landed

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Great update, thanks!

Especially excited to try the updated wireless capabilities....

Thanks Jonathan,

Yeah, I've been testing it out too! Super cool, I was just curious if the Red team had any tips about how it might impact the camera while it recording? Might sound like a crazy idea but I already have a use-case in mind where I could have my post team offloading material via FTP while the crew is shooting! This would likely result in occasional writes to the card while rolling, and sustained background reads out over the FTP connection possibly for hours!

I'm just curious what type of problems I should expect. I don't really think of cfast cards as bullet proof and I'm wary that reading and writing could over tax the card or the camera's card bus, or something that's not current known. I know 1.5.0 is beta but figured I'd ask as for some insights as I starting up my own testing. :)
    -Eric

Another crazy idea!!! I'm not technical enough to know if this is possible... Could the camera calculate MD5 or SHA checksums while writing to the card? So... as each clip is saved the camera dumps a hash into the .RDC? Someone on the FTP destination computer could run a MD5/SHA calculation and compare against the original!!

:)
    -Eric

Quote Originally Posted by erichann View Post
    Another crazy idea!!! I'm not technical enough to know if this is possible... Could the camera calculate MD5 or SHA checksums while writing to the card? So... as each clip is saved the camera dumps a hash into the .RDC? Someone on the FTP destination computer could run a MD5/SHA calculation and compare against the original!!
    I don't know exactly what data checks occur during the writing of R3Ds or ProRes, but we know it does stuff for sure. For a checksum to work it would have to occur after the file segments would finish writing or after entire clips, which could get hairy on a queued and staggered start/stop recording session.

But!

You can indeed compare a remote file against a local one and produce a checksum to ensure your download completed successfully. I've got a bit on my plate this weekend, but I did mock up a sniffer auto FTP downloader and that worked nicely. I'm actually curious to see how to do this while rolling and if that's going to destroy the world. Don't want to tax the system too hard, but that would be interesting.

Have some stranger ideas pertaining to timelapse setups too. A lot of interesting applications here. One of which would be extracting metadata and generating populated reports on a mag into a populated database which can then be sync'd to a studio, flagging takes in nearly realtime or even after the fact, offloading flagged takes, flagged takes as a priority, etc. Or even when ingesting a physical card cross referencing against the DB with physical media.

Lots of thoughts here.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Absolutely Phil! Love that timelapse idea... :)

Speaking of timelapse, where's 1fps for komodo? I knew I left it around here somewhere!

On the checksums front, I just didn't know if you could run a hash function while the bits streamed out of the encoder/buffer/whatever internally, before writing to card. Some desktop apps I use seem to spit out a hash as the file is being copied, not as second pass read/calculate operation. I'm sure that it's highly hash function dependent, i.e. MD5 SHA256, xxHASH, all use different approaches.

I'm just saying, my 5G phone a USB-C cable and the Link Adapter! Add some fancy transfer software tricks and... BAM! Soon I'll be able to automate RAW uploads to Dropbox while shooting!

Just saying non-sense words now.
    -Eric

Quote Originally Posted by erichann View Post
    Thanks Jonathan,

Yeah, I've been testing it out too! Super cool, I was just curious if the Red team had any tips about how it might impact the camera while it recording? Might sound like a crazy idea but I already have a use-case in mind where I could have my post team offloading material via FTP while the crew is shooting! This would likely result in occasional writes to the card while rolling, and sustained background reads out over the FTP connection possibly for hours!

I'm just curious what type of problems I should expect. I don't really think of cfast cards as bullet proof and I'm wary that reading and writing could over tax the card or the camera's card bus, or something that's not current known. I know 1.5.0 is beta but figured I'd ask as for some insights as I starting up my own testing. :)
    Let me speak to the team here & get back to you on that.

That's my initial concern as-well, just too many intensive tasks going on at once on the card especially where the footage is a critical asset. CFast cards get hot enough already.

I really love the idea of a software application monitoring the media directory & just smashing out a copy & some renders as soon as another clip is initiated.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5401988/

Ex-RED Dragon / Epic Owner

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Instead of thinking of timelapse functions, it's better to request undercranking. It's a big problem that we cannot shoot custom framerates. We should be able to choose whatever framerate we want between 1-40 fps in 6K FF, with more on lower resolutions.
    It's common for action scenes to shoot 20-22 fps to slightly increase speed or around 12 fps for some VFX application as well as timelapse stuff down at the 1 fps range. We also might want to be able to do trigger frames, like doing one R3D recording with trigger frames for stop motion. I know that it's better to do this with DSLRs, but getting files in R3D format can be nice for faster stop motion post-work. Then, being able to custom choose framerates in overcrank mode between 25-40 fps in order to do stuff like slomo that works with music video timing and easier playback singing in higher speed is extremely important for music video work.

It's a much-needed feature to have 1-40 custom fps options so I hope this gets attention in the next firmware versions.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

awesome, thank you!!

Now that it's out in the wild, how stable has everyone found it to be? I never had issues running DSMC2 betas on jobs, but for some reason I've been reluctant to update the baby dragon.
    Carlino // duncanobryan.com
    Epic-W #004102 / Komodo #002607
    Moviecam Compact 3-perf
    Arriflex 35-III 3-perf

I haven't had a chance to spend a lot of time with it yet since I just moved, but the only issue I've run into so far has been the wonky focal distances on the RF 800mm lens I have. No other problems in those couple of hours. I'll try again this weekend though.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik