Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Komoodo Beta 1.5 finally has landed

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by D. O'Bryan View Post
    Now that it's out in the wild, how stable has everyone found it to be? I never had issues running DSMC2 betas on jobs, but for some reason I've been reluctant to update the baby dragon.
    I threw the beta on and then handed the camera to the BTS guys on the last set I was on. They messed around with it for a whole weekend; I don't think there was a single issue. I'll have to do more testing myself, though.

Thanks everyone! Good to know. I really haven't even put the Komodo through it's paces besides a 1/2 day interview and some testing around the house. Got weirded out by a clip that was just a black frame when I first got it...

First true shakedown cruise coming this Wednesday!
    Carlino // duncanobryan.com
    Epic-W #004102 / Komodo #002607
    Moviecam Compact 3-perf
    Arriflex 35-III 3-perf

I recently rolled back my Firmware after a few small bugs with the Beta. The most noticeable was the thumbnails of all my clips in playback were very, very blue tinted. Possibly just displaying the wrong white balance and it didn't effect playback. Did spook us for a second though!

I also noticed that Prores clips took longer to finalize, the camera took longer to power down (Image would stay up for a solid 15 seconds after the UI was gone)

I will pop the new firmware back on if I need the features, seems reliable enough but I had a very busy week and didn't need any of the updates and wasn't looking to be a test subject.
    rcbandit.com

Quote Originally Posted by erichann View Post
    Thanks Jonathan,

Yeah, I've been testing it out too! Super cool, I was just curious if the Red team had any tips about how it might impact the camera while it recording? Might sound like a crazy idea but I already have a use-case in mind where I could have my post team offloading material via FTP while the crew is shooting! This would likely result in occasional writes to the card while rolling, and sustained background reads out over the FTP connection possibly for hours!

I'm just curious what type of problems I should expect. I don't really think of cfast cards as bullet proof and I'm wary that reading and writing could over tax the card or the camera's card bus, or something that's not current known. I know 1.5.0 is beta but figured I'd ask as for some insights as I starting up my own testing. :)

Wait...so you trust the stability of a network...ANY network, over that of a Cfast2 card?
    DSMC2 Dragon-X
    Komodo...and maybe another one soon

Totally excited to get anamorphic features in 1.5. The one thing that I noticed is that I'm getting vignetting on 4:3 and 3:2 1.8x 6K settings and it's out of proportion (stretched too wide) in 3:2, 4:3 and 6:5 6K 2x on the Vazen 40mm.

One more setting that would be helpful is 6K 6:5 1.8x. I think that would help clear the vignette completely. I use 6:5 on my Gemini with Atlas lenses and that does the trick. For the official 1.5, please add that mode, thank you much.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Roberts View Post
    Wait...so you trust the stability of a network...ANY network, over that of a Cfast2 card?
    Hey Brian, oddly in this case it doesn't seem too crazy to me. :)

Downloading clips while rolling poses a bigger burden on the camera and card than on the camera's network interface and (very much depending on the existing network infrastructure) the network. My math says, that my CFast cards would max out in the 500MB/s range, and that my test with r3d HQ recording get me roughly 270MB/s writing to the card. A Gigabit connection to the camera could run at 115MB/s and in this case it would be reading from the card at maybe 115MB/s while writing to the card at 270MB/s. Clearly nothing is approaching the cards max, but it's not insignificant load on the card especially because it's having to do two operations (back and forth) at the same time. As far as I'm aware cards in Red cameras, in the past have enjoyed the luxury of dealing with writing clips without having to play them back at the same time, (i.e. couldn't have the camera in playback mode while also rolling). Reading and writing data could possibly have a weird impacts on how the clips bytes get laid out on the CFast storage area.

The camera's network interface would (theoretically) only be sending data (unless someone's using the app/desktop at the same time) and as far as I know the FTPS connection uses TCP packets which have error correction! Dropped packets could be re-sent if failed. And the files don't have to fly off the camera at the same speed at writing them to the card, there's a little less pressure on the network to preform flawlessly as the CFast card. All this to say having some kind of checksum system would still bring a lot of peace of mind.

I could be outta my league, but the potential of offloading while shooting seems promising, assuming all the steps in the middle actually work correctly. Am I too optimistic? :)
    -Eric

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Seen people have problems with this beta release and their camera not starting up correctly. I don't have a problem myself since I don't update to beta releases because that's what anyone who needs to use their camera or doesn't have any backup cameras should do. But for those with semi-bricked cameras, I noticed that there's only a menu access to a factory reset. How come there's no hard buttons for this? Makes zero sense that we can't do a factory reset through buttons. DSMC2 can factory reset by holding down the power button while it's starting up, but we don't have such an option on Komodo?

And this isn't really solvable by new firmware as the factory reset should go back to a reference point before this. The only way would be to make a solid and 100% stable firmware upgrade that sets a "factory baseline" going forward. So that any factory reset goes back to that firmware and not before. But that would require an extremely rugged and stable firmware update that is the most stable firmware ever. If we don't have a factory reset button option for when a camera is totally not working, we need to have something like that, in some way, installed.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Has anyone found noticeably longer clip finalizing times with the new firmware? I can't confirm this phenomenon even for my own case, as it's difficult to compare-- it's not like I ever timed out the "yellow light" period with the previous firmware, and it had been more than a month since I last shot with the exact same settings (6k 17:9 format recorded as 4k prores). But I was surprised how long I had to wait before rolling again after shooting 30-90 second clips.

Is the magnify toggle active during shooting? Is it instantaneous?

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Seen people have problems with this beta release and their camera not starting up correctly. I don't have a problem myself since I don't update to beta releases because that's what anyone who needs to use their camera or doesn't have any backup cameras should do. But for those with semi-bricked cameras, I noticed that there's only a menu access to a factory reset. How come there's no hard buttons for this? Makes zero sense that we can't do a factory reset through buttons. DSMC2 can factory reset by holding down the power button while it's starting up, but we don't have such an option on Komodo?

And this isn't really solvable by new firmware as the factory reset should go back to a reference point before this. The only way would be to make a solid and 100% stable firmware upgrade that sets a "factory baseline" going forward. So that any factory reset goes back to that firmware and not before. But that would require an extremely rugged and stable firmware update that is the most stable firmware ever. If we don't have a factory reset button option for when a camera is totally not working, we need to have something like that, in some way, installed.
    A long power press during boot does a factory reset just like it did in DSMC2. It doesn’t go back to known good firmware image - but neither did DSMC2. It will reset all user settings.

There is also a force upgrade method, again like DSMC2, which bypasses the currently installed firmware and upgrades directly from the system bootloader.