Thread: Beautiful CGI animated artwork

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Beautiful CGI animated artwork 
    Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    It's an NFT and it sold for $40,000. Turn the sound on for maximum effect. Imagine this on a huge screen in a public space at night.

https://foundation.app/visualdon/flo...in-space-17394
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Unsplash | Pinterest | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Well paid I must say. In my world the production cost for such clip would be about than 4000USD...

I got a lot of perfect loops like this any chance to make a buck from them ;)

Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Bjorn, those are awesome!

The interesting thing about NFTs is my first question is who were the artists who did that work?

Whereas if we were talking in a VFX context, we have been programmed not to ask that question that much. Credits in many movies only credit the studio and the artists themselves aren't even listed. With commercials, trailers, etc, credit is sidelined too.

Don't get me wrong... also important to credit the studio, the folks putting the pipeline together, investing, etc...

But yeah I think if you build a following on Instagram as FrogBjorn and make that your theme and, do a proper collection, and credit the artists, then yes you should sell some NFTs - that is quality stuff :)

It is interesting because in Los Angeles freelance artist rates are going up because it's become a tiny bit harder to convince CG artists to sign all their rights away working on something they'll never see residuals for, versus doing an NFT. I agree NFTs are an unnatural bubble. But also the previous situation (where artists were not treated very well in our industry) was also unnatural. Nice to see some balance being restored!

I am of course personally both helped and harmed by this - as I both make stuff myself and also employ artists to do stuff under my direction... so I get paid more but I also have to pay other artists more, haha. I think overall I lose short term, but if it gets more folks into learning the tools, that's a long-term win.

Also it has some interesting implications RE stuff like merchandising. As filmmakers we have given up so many rights to the studios. They saw Lucas making too much money off of the Star Wars toys and shut future deals like that down for the future.

I am personally super happy that stuff is being shaken up because the status quo only benefits the big studios. Of course I mostly work for the big studios (did my 15th Marvel movie title last year) but it would be awesome to have a more even playing field.

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv

Ha ha! I prefer the frog, it's not pretentious!

Quote Originally Posted by William Long View Post
    Ha ha! I prefer the frog, it's not pretentious!
    Haha yes... people forget that part of what makes Beeple's stuff work is the sense of humor!

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv

Love that frog!

As for the NFT thing, I’ve been exploring it a bit... Most don’t sell for much, but every now and then a bidding war strikes and an artist gets lucky. It seems that familiarity of the image and/or artist go a long way for making it valuable. And if it’s an original minting from a known artist or graphic series that is the most valuable. Meaning that it has never appeared online before until it was minted as an NFT. Other than that, doesn’t hurt to give it a try. I think high-price auctions are just a momentary fad, but the underlying tech here has huge implications for DRM and copyright.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Very interested in the development NFT, since most of what I do enters digital and stays that way, I can rarely sell art in a traditional sense. But as far as I've discovered NFTs are just like normal art in their pricing. If you're a well-known artist or have a name of any kind in the digital art world you can absolutely become pretty wealthy on your art and this is a really good thing for all the people who struggle with their passion for creating digital art. But for all of us who aren't big names, it can cost us more than we can sell it for.

Hopefully, with ETH2.0 the gas price will be reduced and it won't cost as much to register something as an NFT.

But it's also hard to know which places are good places to place your NFTs on? What are the best sites to be on?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397