Thread: The SDI issues

Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    The new update on the powering and connecting sequence is much more clear. Basically turn on everything then connect SDI.

This also basically states that plugging an SDI cable while monitor and camera are running is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Totolo View Post
    Bjorn, this particular isolator does not work, at least not for me. I tried it with my Odyssey 7Q+ with no luck.
    On Facebook there has been a report that an SDI port got fried despite using an isolator. Hot plugging a D-Tap was most likely the cause. Meaning best protection is avoiding D-Taps plus the correct sequence.

I ordered the SWX Core EVO hotswap plate with Lemo outputs and went full Lemo for accessories. Meaning no D-Taps and no powering the camera down when changing batteries. Fingers crossed this will work without complications.

A bit more info from Red support: "You still can "Hot Swap" the BP Batteries on the KOMODO while the KOMODO is powered on with the BNC cable still attached."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Totolo View Post
    Bjorn, this particular isolator does not work, at least not for me. I tried it with my Odyssey 7Q+ with no luck.
    Oh dear. I've purchased one of those.

I couldn't get any customer support from Allen Avionics, but HD may be too weak of a signal, I'll try 6G next: https://www.allenavionics.com/produc...ils/iso-6g-sdi
    Bill Totolo
    billtotolo.com

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Frederic Caspari View Post
    On Facebook there has been a report that an SDI port got fried despite using an isolator. Hot plugging a D-Tap was most likely the cause.
    Isn't the isolator made specifically for the reason of preventing this setup malfunction?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    Isn't the isolator made specifically for the reason of preventing this setup malfunction?
    I was told by Flanders that no. They were designed for helping this powered from two separate power sources. They it wouldn’t do much in my case powering off one v mount

<SMH> you know, the mechanism of failure has been discussed ad infinitum. ANYTIME "+" power is connected without there being a suitable ground path (like the "-" battery pole) the momentary inrush current will seek the easiest path to ground. This means, if the SDI cable is connected, it will use the ground path of the SDI cable, burning out the SDI electronics. The way to protect the SDI board is to not give battery power that ground path thru the SDI circuitry.

So, if, for example, the battery (-) is an intermittent connection (as I've reported above) , you stand the chance of burning out the SDI board. The damage happens because the inrush of current thru the sdi electronics is more than the digital level (<< .1 amps) the electronics are designed to handle. Isolators, like the ones referenced, work by having an internal capacitor to absorb inrush current before it can damage anything. These capacitors are very small and their capacity to absorb the current is very small and fleeting. If the voltage/current spike exceeds the capacity of the protection capacitor, you may as well not even have that capacitor in the line. The downside of these protective capacitors is that they also absorb the minute fluctuations in the digital signal, many times completely isolating even the digital signal.

Quick question, and forgive me is this has been covered before.

Would this Titla V mount plate help?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...non_bp_to.html

You could power your Onboard monitor from the Lemo Ports, and not have to deal with P-Tap, etc.

And in studio situations its even better, as you can plug into wall/AC, and then when you unplug the camera (to move it, etc) the cam just switches to battery but never powers down.

Meaning once you power up the first time, you could leave the SDI plugged in all day until you power down end of day (when you'd detach SDI again as last thing you do). Ie this leaves the SDI cable/port out of harms way over course of day, which is our goal right?

Sorry, this is making me anxious too - so trying to see if this logic is sound.

We've been monitoring this feed/issue, and really trying to find a workaround/solve that's practical.
    Last edited by Nick Morrison; 05-18-2021 at 09:11 AM.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    We still don't have any good solutions.

The main problem here is that a normal shoot that uses batteries on the monitor and the camera can't be bothered with a slow and tedious cable management just to be able to change batteries on either the camera, the monitor or both.
    It might be that you need to "keep going" fast and you need to change batteries and get up and running asap. This whole thing makes the workflow extremely impractical and extremely prone to the slightest mistake in a high-stress environment.

So far, I've yet to hear any innovative ideas on how to failsafe against this. The isolator was a good idea but seems to not work anyway. What else can we do?

Can we use a converter instead? Like the SDI to HDMI converter before attaching the monitor? Or does that do nothing since the signal is still going through everything?

I still think that we need a native monitor from Red. Something we can use that doesn't rely on the SDI port. The biggest problem we have right now is that SDI is the ONLY way to monitor with any high quality. And if it's impossible to make a monitor powered off the camera, just make a Red monitor that uses BP batteries that connects to the top instead. I just want a solution to this because right now we either risk a lot by using SDI monitors or we have to use the Komodo Link which isn't close to good for critical viewing.

Maybe an updated expansion module underneath that has HDMI or something for higher quality viewing without high risk of damage... I mean... anything from Red that helps us have a good second option to the onboard SDI would be helpful. I really hope Red is reading all this and understand the point of this thread and that it's a request for solutions.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397