Thread: The SDI issues

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hofmeyr View Post
    Do we need to unplug SDI even if we are changing the battery on the monitor only?

What about swapping out a BP-9 on the back of the Komodo. eg replacing a depleted battery while the other battery continues to power the camera?
    Not sure. It sound crazy if every time power is removed or added video cables have to be unplugged... But that is as I understand what all manufacturers are claiming now, but I hope I´m wrong as it sounds nuts.

Again I unplug batteries and cables all the time with our without power and don't think much about it. So maybe I´m just been lucky but yes, who have time for such precautions. I´m more worried the SDI connector would be worn out from all the unplugging.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Seems mad to me. According to Red's manual, swapping a battery on the rear of the camera requires that you shut down then disconnect the SDI cable then replace the battery then reconnect the SDI then boot the camera. I hope someone from Red chimes in here to clarify.

For what I know the sdi cable must not be plugged in if you place or remove a battery not when you turn on/off camera and monitor.

Mount batteries, plug SDI, turn on.

Turn off, unplug SDI, remove batteries.

If you only need to turn on/off without removing batteries, SDI cable can stay plugged in.

If the problem is connecting the +ve before the ground, thus causing the ground to loop via the monitor to the SDI, then there surely can't be any issue if the monitor is powered by it's own battery? Even if the monitor is powered from the camera or via d-tap, I can't see how the loop could be completed when attaching/removing batteries. The only case I can see where there might be an issue is when plugging in/out the monitor's power cable when the monitor and camera share the same power source.

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    But my friend just had a Komodo here in Stockholm fried this way...
    Any information on components and third party accessories that he used? I remember having accessories and cables fried by bad wiring on a Tilta V-Mount plate many years ago while having camera, recorder and EVF hooked up to one another and powering them through D-Tap. (I'm sure their wiring has improved in the meantime). This was on a C100. So none of the 6G/12G SDI related issues could have been the problem back then, but a wrong ground loop for sure. Been using regulated adapters ever since. So that if something fries it's "only" the relative cheap cable that needs to be replaced.

Not pointing fingers, but it would be interesting to know the components and accessories that were used when the SDI port died. The fact that this issue is reported more often with the Komodo could also be due to cheaper third party accessories that are being used alongside the camera.

What I do not understand is if there is an opportunity to fry the SDI board through the BNC connector, it seems that the outer barrel is floating and not properly bonded to the chassis or camera body if the body is also bonded to the battery negative. Voltage surges can be handled by semiconductors and is common in electronic design*. Overvoltage beyond stated values per manufacturer is another story and can cause serious damage. This should not occur however with recommended camera batteries per operating manuals.

Lightning strikes, exposure to extreme high voltages such as Tesla coils,and static electricity discharges are the exceptions.

Gonna jump in here because a lot of this is innuendo or unsubstantiated theory. It would be good to have more factual feedback from Red, because even my following logic is no more than innuendo.
    At any rate, the fact seems to be related to the negative pole of a D-tap plug making contact before the positive pole, causing a ground loop. For that matter, a ground loop would be a static discharge thru any negative side of the circuitry that is neither grounded nor disconnected by switching off.
    1-ground loops are built up static charge that are not adequately grounded.
    2-if the D-tap plug is already installed, complete connection, i.e. both poles are already in contact with the power source, a ground loop is unlikely.
    3-if the D-tap is plugged in and the battery is removed/installed, can a similar ground loop happen if the negative pole makes contact before the positive pole?
    4-turning the camera off/on should not affect anything unless the on/off switch is poorly designed such that the ground circuit is never disconnected from the power source.

Yeah, but not everyone is using Dtap to power their monitors on Komodo (I would've thought the majority are using on-board monitor batteries).

DSMC1 had SDI and HDMI boards burn out, which I thought was ultimately why I/O was moved to a module in DSMC2. In retrospect it may have been the SDI-short issue. Further, 1G~3G (of DSMC1 and 2) are supposed to be *less* susceptible than 6G~12G (carrying 4k), so maybe that's why Komodo seems more sensitive.

I too am very disappointed with the lack of clarity (re: camera battery and/or SDI accessory battery replacement throughout the day requiring a mini-tear down procedure). My plan/hope, was to use a 2pin-lemo-to-accessory cable, so the only battery that would be removed would be the camera battery. Logic being that because it's the one battery, after it's all connected it wouldn't be possible that the +ve sleeve would hit first... But like everyone here, I'm not confident that'll prevent the problem on battery swaps if leaving the SDI connected.

Worse still, what if you're hot-swapping to keep the camera up? Everything would remain powered, but would replacing the dead battery with a fresh one potentially cause the +ve to hit first and short your SDI? (maybe that's exactly what's happening with Komodo; people swapping one of the BPs while the camera is still powered up and SDI connected.)

Things are just as grey when using SDI for live/studio work; if you're using AC on the camera and you have a long SDI run to a switcher, does the switcher need to be connected to AC but powered off before connecting the SDI to camera? If so, wtf?

Regardless of the answers, anyone who's been on set sees how nonchalantly those connectors and batteries are attached/disconnected/powered with video village. It's wild. Add in booting up the camera early for warm-up or black shade or to avoid a ~30sec boot-time, and it's absolutely unrealistic to expect a working set to follow that order with power-downs/disconnections on monitor battery swaps... Only the Owner-Ops who baby their equipment would be able to even attempt it; if it's a rental, no one would give a crap.

Whoddathought HDMI would be a more bulletproof connection. LOL.
    Last edited by Mike P.; 04-14-2021 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hofmeyr View Post
    Do we need to unplug SDI even if we are changing the battery on the monitor only?

What about swapping out a BP-9 on the back of the Komodo. eg replacing a depleted battery while the other battery continues to power the camera?
    THIS!

I’ve been sleepless over these exact 2 questions!

I did not noticed this until now. So we all need a statement from RED about the procedures for Powering ON the Komodo and the Monitor with plugged batteries and plugged SDI cable.(or not) And when we do hotswapping the batteries om the komodo, is it necessary to unplu the sdi cable ?