Thread: Sigma FP vs Komodo

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Sigma FP vs Komodo 
    I own a Sigma FP (the original non "L" version) and I've enjoyed it so far but I'm strongly considering a Komodo. I'm an artist and I shoot mostly on a tripod cinema style artistic personal projects. Lately lots of rivers and urban landscapes. I don't love working with the Sigma files- they are big and heavy and take quite a bit to process them easily in Resolve. I do like it's size.

I've rented a Komodo for the weekend and I'm trying it out. My first impression is that the files are very easy to work with and the quality really has a nice feel to it. I thought maybe not being a full frame sensor would be a problem but I don't really feel that way.

Anyways, I'd love to hear some thoughts on the Sigma FP and what advantages a Komodo may have over the Sigma.

Thanks!

I have both and love both. I did a test shoot with them and used the DZOFILM 20-55mm on one and the 50-125 on the other. On the Sigma FP (Older non L version) I shot 12 bit raw and I have to say when I got them in Resolve it was hard to see the difference right off the bat. I could easily use this as a b camera and inter-cut the footage just fine. I will use my Komodo on productions here and use my Sigma FP when I travel since it is more compact. No reason you can't have both cameras.

I wish the sigma FP had an EF mount. Thats my only hang up with it or I would have one.
    DSMC2 GEMINI + STORMTROOPER KOMODO

would love to see some graded footage of the Sigma Fp if you guys have anything online.
    Dr. Dominik Münch D.O.C.A
    Filmmaker & Cinematographer
    Epic-W "Lucy"
    http://www.instagram.com/drdominikmuench

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Reese View Post
    I wish the sigma FP had an EF mount. Thats my only hang up with it or I would have one.

there is a sigma EF to L adapter.
    Epic-W "Lucy"

Quote Originally Posted by Dominik Muench View Post
    there is a sigma EF to L adapter.
    And it's a lot more flexible that way, since it's possible to adapt nearly everything to L mount, including EF.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography, Colorist
    http://WinterLight.studio
    http://www.imdb.me/rakeshmalik

Quote Originally Posted by Dominik Muench View Post
    would love to see some graded footage of the Sigma Fp if you guys have anything online.
    The Sigma Fp has a nice image and raw files are very forgiving. It is very much a manual experience as the AF is useless. I think a tripod is a must have as the Fp lacks any IBIS.

https://youtu.be/T04U2c8gU2M

Quote Originally Posted by Han Vogen View Post
    The Sigma Fp has a nice image and raw files are very forgiving. It is very much a manual experience as the AF is useless. I think a tripod is a must have as the Fp lacks any IBIS.

https://youtu.be/T04U2c8gU2M

thanks for that.
    it only records RAW through an external recorder though still ? eve the newer version of the camera cant do internal RAW I assume ?
    its a great little package otherwise. I see what you mean with tripod, that's the problem with such small and light cameras handheld.
    Epic-W "Lucy"

Yes I get it can be adapted, but I prefer locking mounts that are solid and have tried to cut down on having to build my rigs up with excess (cages/baseplates) to stabilize large lenses that ultimately ends up defeating the purpose of such a tiny camera like the FP.

L-mount glass is of no interest only because I don't own any and don't really want to invest in more glass to another system when I already have some very nice EF cine-mod glass (i.e. Leica-R, Canon FD, Contax, etc.) and also shoot heavy PL glass a lot. My concern for the FP's mount and adaptors is very much that of what I dealt with when I first got Komodo. I recently had to give up on the Canon RF/EF adaptor for Komodo for this sole reason because I was getting image shift when using FF motors even with lighter cine-mod ef lenses. I have since went with the Kippertie adapta EF and PL adaptors and it has solved this issue with Komodo but the form factor is still very minimal and the adapta direct bolts right into the Komodo chin-strap which is a minimalist cage essentially.

Are there any solid L-mount to EF/PL mount adaptors available for the FP with say an integrated cage or something to keep size and weight down? I am interested in this cam for a personal day cam/family cam but also as a specialized interior car scenes or scenes requiring very odd placements even beyond the potential capabilities of Komodo (i.e. snorricam, face cam, etc)... FPV would also probably be very interesting and open up opportunities with the FP also.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakesh Malik View Post
    And it's a lot more flexible that way, since it's possible to adapt nearly everything to L mount, including EF.
    DSMC2 GEMINI + STORMTROOPER KOMODO

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Reese View Post
    Yes I get it can be adapted, but I prefer locking mounts that are solid and have tried to cut down on having to build my rigs up with excess (cages/baseplates) to

Are there any solid L-mount to EF/PL mount adaptors available for the FP with say an integrated cage or something to keep size and weight down? I am interested in this cam for a personal day cam/family cam but also as a specialized interior car scenes or scenes requiring very odd placements even beyond the potential capabilities of Komodo (i.e. snorricam, face cam, etc)... FPV would also probably be very interesting and open up opportunities with the FP also.
    The Sigma EF- L adapter has a little foot, that foot can be removed and if you use the small rig cage, I believe it has an extra support that screws in to that foot. Looks like it makes a pretty strong and secure mount, but I don't have one personally to try out.