Thread: My number came up, but I donít need the Komodo...

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 My number came up, but I donít need the Komodo... 
    I realized Iím happy with my current setup, so I have a few more days to decide if I want to purchase a RED Komodo just to resell it.
    This feels more like a moral dilemma than a financial one.
    I donít even know the current market value or waitlist length, but ya know...I do have the funds...

The moral dilemma is yours to work out, but Iíll just say that the market for the camera is kind of like the market for a house, right now. I guarantee that you can sell it for more than you paid for it.

If it were me I'd just cancel the order and let someone else who's still waiting in line get the camera, some people have been waiting months already.

The people who are willing to pay extra can still find a Komodo to buy straight away.

Deliberately going through with buying a Komodo to immediately on-sell it for a profit isn't the same as having already bought one then deciding you don't want it anymore.

I think the fact that you're even asking the question shows you know what you should do, but yeah, everyone's got to make their own call on that sort of thing.
    Last edited by Les Hillis; 04-18-2021 at 05:51 PM.

Les,
    I am guessing that you come from the school of thought that honesty and integrity are closely tied to doing what's right even when no one is looking.
    But, what's right?
    In Adams case, I see handing-off to the next-in-line as OK and perhaps even laudable as many are waiting for their purchase fulfillment. But, buying the Komodo and re-selling doesn't seem like a failure either. A free market allows such alternatives.
    I don't think it matters whether the Komodo market is strong or weak (where, with the strong market, some might chide Adam as a profiteer)
    Among other things, handing-off is an easy/no-hassle solution that will not involve questionable purchasers, shipping, funds transfer, etc..
    It seems like Adam has a personal choice to make.
    Mark

Well, yeah, it's a personal choice (similar to ones we all have to make from time to time), and he asked for feedback, so...

Based on the limited information he provided and my understanding of the market, combined with some general principles that I've found beneficial, I'd suggest/recommend just cancelling the order and moving on.

That's my opinion, given to some random stranger to take or leave as they please, on the chance it might help them make the decision that suits them best, whatever it might be.

Les,
    "That's my opinion, given to some random stranger to take or leave as they please, on the chance it might help them make the decision that suits them best, whatever it might be."
    I totally agree. I was just testing the philosophical waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hillis View Post
    If it were me I'd just cancel the order and let someone else who's still waiting in line get the camera, some people have been waiting months already.

The people who are willing to pay extra can still find a Komodo to buy straight away.

Deliberately going through with buying a Komodo to immediately on-sell it for a profit isn't the same as having already bought one then deciding you don't want it anymore.

I think the fact that you're even asking the question shows you know what you should do, but yeah, everyone's got to make their own call on that sort of thing.
    Right on...the right thing to do.

Morals aside, Its a camera. You can definitely make a 20-30% return, but it also depends how experienced you are selling high priced items online or on a marketplace and whether or not the fees and shipping are worth the return for you. I'd probably pass on this route for the simple reason I dont want to deal with the potential headaches securing and verifying funds from buyers, shipping calculations and potential problems.
    rcbandit.com

The scarcity principle is an economic theory that explains the price relationship between dynamic supply and demand.
    According to the scarcity principle, the price of a good, which has low supply and high demand, rises to meet the expected demand.
    Marketers often use the principle to create artificial scarcity for a given product or good—and make it exclusive—in order to generate demand for it.