Thread: How about those new iMacs

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 How about those new iMacs 
    Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    I'm not easy to impress, but the new iMacs sure got my attention. In a way, they were inevitable. But I didn't expect them to be that thin. Steve Jobs would have loved to see these things. I bet that he had them in his mind, though, as impossible as they would have been until now.

Imagine what the ARM Mac Pros are going to be like. Holy smokes.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Unsplash | Pinterest | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

My sentiments exactly - Unfortunately, still not expected until next year.
    Was nice to see Resolve specifically called out in yesterdays presentation.

My question - external GPU's for MAC Pro's require an Intel processor.
    Does anyone know if these will work with the M1 chipset?

Also with the M1 - will external PCIe be supported?

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    I truly believe that thanks to the ARM processors, Apple will become the world's no.1 PC maker in a few years. 'Windows compatibility' isn't a thing anymore. Hasn't been for ages. Neither is 'x86 compatibility'.

I predict that at least one PC maker, such as Dell or HP, will go under, or stop making PCs altogether. Slapping your label on other people's out-dated, generic tech can only work for so long.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Unsplash | Pinterest | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

It will definitely be an interesting thing to see how it will play out.

I am still a bit in the wait-and-see camp. I want to see the 2nd one. So far they have made Air, mini, iPad pro and iMac, more or less the same machine.

Which is a very cool machine, but I hope they do something sensible for the pro segment, and there both brute-force and expandability are key elements.

So far it seems to me like they have again re-focused squarely on the prosumer segment, ad my inner Apple sceptic (who have mostly owned Apple computers for the last 40 years), FEAR that they will leave it at that and just repackage the same board for the next couple of years. From a business perspective (which apple isn't half shaby at) that just makes too much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunleik Groven View Post
    It will definitely be an interesting thing to see how it will play out.

I am still a bit in the wait-and-see camp. I want to see the 2nd one. So far they have made Air, mini, iPad pro and iMac, more or less the same machine.

Which is a very cool machine, but I hope they do something sensible for the pro segment, and there both brute-force and expandability are key elements.

So far it seems to me like they have again re-focused squarely on the prosumer segment, ad my inner Apple sceptic (who have mostly owned Apple computers for the last 40 years), FEAR that they will leave it at that and just repackage the same board for the next couple of years. From a business perspective (which apple isn't half shaby at) that just makes too much sense.
    I'm a bit more optimistic. They discontinued the iMac Pro for a reason, and I believe at the WWDC they will come out with an impressive bigger iMac. The CPUS are impressive but what Im really looking forward is to what they can bring to the table in terms of GPU performance. And on our very own RED camp, how much can we expect in terms of optimisation and improvements for R3D in this new Mac era...
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

I think the reason they discontinued the iMac Pro is because the sort of people who would buy that machine were now buying the 27inch iMac which I think launched last year. I have a feeling that they are expecting the rest of them to move onto the Mac Pro since I believe the iMac Pro was mostly a stop gap for people who couldn't wait for the Mac Pro update.
    It will be interesting to see where Apple Silicon goes from here, for now they seem to just be pushing the M1 consumer Macs out the door, the new iMac is effectively a Mac Mini all in one but with an all new design so perhaps the bigger iMac is waiting on M1X or something, as is the 16inch MacBook Pro.
    Who knows what will happen with the Mac Pro at this point, Apple have proven themselves capable of doing a killer portable consumer chip but something more desktop and suited to a modular design like the Mac Pro? I'm sure they'll do something amazing but we'll have to wait and see.

I'm waiting for the huge screen with the second gen apple silicon...

New iMac? OHHHhhh, you mean the 24" non-touch iPad Pro without internal battery or 5G sim slot?

I think the real question is how come we can't run Big Sur (with all its functionality/compatibility/expandability) on our iPhones yet? Even if it was a "lite" version (until iPhone M1 comes out, obviously), it's not like we'd need silly M1 iMacs or Airs or 13" pros, just a $100 dock with USB/Thunderbolt for kb/m and display. Like why not cut to the chase Apple?

Is the M1 chip really better than the classic 8 core i9 and a graphic card? I'm waiting to buy a new 15'' Macbook pro. But I wonder if they will do it soon as the 16'' just came out?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kanes View Post
    I'm waiting for the huge screen with the second gen apple silicon...
    Yeah usually smart to wait for 2nd generation of a product...

Although Dan, I have to say your Atlas Orions are a very rare and notable exception to that rule!

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv