Thread: How to mix CH1&2 analog audio into one stereo signal?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 How to mix CH1&2 analog audio into one stereo signal? 
    I got the A Box XLR adapter for my Scarlet MX today and was wondering if it was possible to have Channel 1 or 2 be converted into a stereo signal so if i have one XLR mic attached to the camera I get a right and left channel audio signal? Thanks
    RED SCARLET MX - #01884 "REDFORD"
    SIGMA 18-35MM F1.8 LENS / Optitek Prolock Nikon Mount / RED Pro Touch LCD 5.0

Digital T Productions 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Krumlauf View Post
    I got the A Box XLR adapter for my Scarlet MX today and was wondering if it was possible to have Channel 1 or 2 be converted into a stereo signal so if i have one XLR mic attached to the camera I get a right and left channel audio signal? Thanks
    Yes go to your audio settings through the menu not the meters and center the pan slider.
    C.G. Productions and Entertainment

RED DSMC 1 Repair

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...TMf5gdvV-FxAln

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Wilson View Post
    Yes go to your audio settings through the menu not the meters and center the pan slider.
    I must not be firing on all cylinders this morning. I can not find the pan option. Is it in the Channel 1/2 menu? Could you share a screenshot?

This is all that appears on the Menu>Settings>Audio page. No Cam Mix or anything as I just saw in the manual. What am I doing wrong???

Last edited by Mike Krumlauf; 05-07-2021 at 11:57 AM. Reason: added a photo to help

Click on the Mix button you see there to open up the Balance and Level control sliders?

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hillis View Post
    Click on the Mix button you see there to open up the Balance and Level control sliders?
    These are the only options I have in the MIX sub menu. Not what i'm looking for.

Sorry, I thought I thought those were the pan sliders.

The manual says those mixer settings don't affect the audio embedded in the R3D file, so yeah, that's not how you do it - ("...The mixer affects audio monitoring (such as headphones) and audio recorded to external devices. The mixer DOES NOT affect audio embedded in the R3D file...").

In the manual though there's also another 'Audio Out Mix' setting in-between the 'Headphone Mix' and 'Monitor Mix' ones in your picture, so maybe that's what you need to adjust (when capturing audio via the Audio Out).

I've obviously never used that feature before, maybe someone who has can confirm that's the only way to convert the individual audio channels into stereo.

I used to combine audio channels on my Scarlet MX all the time. I looks like the Cam Mix feature has been either removed or maybe its somewhere else in the menu now? This is how that menu page looks in firmware 5.3.x
    IMG_BC95A23C175A-1.jpg
    Last edited by Jeff Whitehurst; 05-07-2021 at 06:50 PM.

The 5.3.xx firmware goes back to the first half of 2015. Don't know how long after that the 'Cam Mix' feature got changed, would be strange if it's still in there in some other section. Could be worth a try though, if it's possible to roll back that far.

Never was able to figure it out and I have no interest downgrading the firmware in my camera. Just going to make adjustments in final cut pro.

Are you trying to feed mono to both sides from a mono xlr?
    C.G. Productions and Entertainment

RED DSMC 1 Repair

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...TMf5gdvV-FxAln