Thread: PHENOMENA - A psychedelic exploration of the patterns of nature

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 PHENOMENA - A psychedelic exploration of the patterns of nature 

Hey hey Reduser,

This is my first major project as a director/writer/producer/dp is coming out in the coming days. The trailer just dropped on YouTube.

Over the past few years I've had the pleasure of building incredible experiments and capturing them with my RED Dragon. Everything you see is captured for real, no CGI. Big shout out to RED raw, was a huge advantage in this ambitious project. It began as a humble side thing, which in time caught the attention of the ABC (Australia), and our government funding bodies Screen Australia and Film Victoria.

If you'd like to know more about the project, feel free to hit me up in this thread or you can learn all about the project on our website https://phnmna.com

It features an original score from Kim Moyes of The Presets, for any of you electronic music fans.

Big love to all the help I've received from you all throughout the series. Really proud of this one!

Amazing images Josef, congratulations!

Gotta admit I'm not so keen on the music in the trailer, seems incongruous to the nature of your images. But that's just me! :))

Looks good.

The more modern upbeat music seems to fit the trippy trance-inducing nature of the images and the fast pace of the trailer. Makes me wonder how much of it gets used on the actual show.

Curious too who ends up with the rights to the experimental footage when funding bodies and broadcasters get involved. It's easy to imagine the imagery being re-used as stock footage or in a longer form 'Koyaanisqatsi'-like project.

Congrats on getting it done.

Hey Les! This trailer is very much true to the experience of the overall film. The runtime of the series is 45 minutes, of which 39 minutes are purely visuals and music. The music is diverse, and best described as electro-cinematic. There are powerful synth arpeggio pieces, emotive ambient/piano, some funky hip-hop inspired production, and some other quirky stuff too. Each chapter is introduced with the context of the experiment, as well as short look at the phenomenon manifested in the natural world. This component makes up the remaining 6 minutes, which is designed to ease the audience into the abstract worlds conveyed with music/visuals. It's a visual feast to say the very least, and is for sure hypnotic/trance-inducing/psychedelic in nature.

We're absolutely working on expanding this into a longer Koyaanisqatsi-like project right now. ABC (the broadcaster) have the licence to this program for a little while but do not own any of the footage, they just have the option to continue working with us in the future if they please.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hillis View Post
    Looks good.

The more modern upbeat music seems to fit the trippy trance-inducing nature of the images and the fast pace of the trailer. Makes me wonder how much of it gets used on the actual show.

Curious too who ends up with the rights to the experimental footage when funding bodies and broadcasters get involved. It's easy to imagine the imagery being re-used as stock footage or in a longer form 'Koyaanisqatsi'-like project.

Haha no worries Will! If you enjoy the visuals I'm sure there will be something for you in this series. This track is taken from the episode about Gravity, which is perhaps the darkest in the series. I hope to think there's something for everybody in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hillis View Post
    Looks good.

Thanks for the info. Good to know you'll be doing more with the footage and concept, good luck with it.

Sick video! Really like it! Colors just amazing! The soundtrack is good too! Would like to see more :)

Nice work Josef!
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

This is rad!!!
    DSMC2 Monstro & Helium packages ready to shoot
    Gates Pro Action DSMC2 Water Housing
    SPL DSMC2 Custom Water Housing
    vincentkardasik.com
    Hossegor, France
    Water Cinematography Reel
    Instagram, Twitter and Vimeo

Episode 1 is out for any of you interested!

you gotta get this projected on the opera house for the next VIVID festival !
    amazing !!!!
    Dr. Dominik Münch D.O.C.A
    Filmmaker & Cinematographer
    Epic-W "Lucy"
    http://www.instagram.com/drdominikmuench