Thread: A question about polarizers. . .

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 A question about polarizers. . . 
    Hi all. . .

I almost never wear sunglasses (I know. . . big mistake), but lately I have started to do so and I've notice how much richer and contrasted (maybe too much) things seem to appear with my polarized sunglasses on. This leads me to wonder if shooting with a polarizer all the time (when outdoors, at least), might make sense.

What say ye gents?

Thanks.

Stephen
    Scarlet Dragon with Canon, Sigma, and Tokina lenses and the Optitron 2 wireless focus system
    First feature film, Works in Progress, out on DVD (Vanguard Cinema) and online.
    Second feature film, the miniseries Terminal, currently available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R8RQ488
    Third feature film, The Tree, currently available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JJ179RP
    Fourth feature film, The Land, currently under review at film festivals around the world.

Yes for sure. By one put it on and spin it and see how it affects the image. Usually for the better but ofcourse depending on what you do. Nice also to be able to take down reflections and orher stuff.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Polarizing filters for sunglasses and cameras can be very different in design and effect, basically because one is made for our eyes and one is made for what the camera sees.

Polarizing camera filters usually try to stay neutral and just reduce reflected light from particular angles, while polarizing sunglass filters can do that and more to enhance and clarify what you see.

It's definitely worth having a polarizer available, but they do have limits that prevent them from being left on the camera and used all the time, eg. they have an inherent filter factor/light loss, will probably introduce a slight tint from the filter glass, and the polarizing effect changes in intensity depending on your angle to the light source (beyond the range of adjustment you get by rotating the filter).

If you shoot outdoors on a blue sky in daylight, big difference from shooting north/south and east/west. They do not intercut well if at all if sky is in the shots from different angles.

Faces and skin-tones can look strange too if the filter reduces their natural shine and increases their colour saturation. Still worth checking out and having one on hand though imo.

I shoot with a Pola on exteriors 99.9% of the time. As does almost everyone I've ever worked with.

Nick

I absolutely don't use them all the time for outdoors, but they are a fundamental tool nonetheless. Depends on your goals really.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Perhaps I should amend that. If I am shooting exteriors, I automatically call for a pola and an n1.2. Then it's in until there is a reason for it not to be, then it's back in again ;-)

Nick

Off hand, does anyone know which rotating circular polarizers are compatible with Tilta matte boxes, specifically the MB-T12? (I know it's a popular model on the forum.) On B&H, a number of the most popular options specifically say they don't fit Tilta (like the Revar Rota-Pola), or have a review pointing out an issue (like the Nisi)...