Thread: Moire-Aliasing in Komodo

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Moire-Aliasing in Komodo 
    Has anyone noticed a tendency of the komodo to produce aliasing-moire?
    I noticed it first with some small detail, and it becomes more apparent with a focus chart. Switching in Davinci the decode quality to full res. premium helped quite a bit, but there is still some. Any ideas on what other settings to adjust?

focus chart:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eGd...ew?usp=sharing

Recording settings/specs:
    Zeiss Standard 50mm @f2.8
    172.8 shutter
    6K MQ
    800 iso

Davinci settings:
    Full Res. Premium
    Bit depth 16
    Color science IPP2
    Color Space RedwidegamutRGB
    Gamma Curve Log3G10
    with LUT applied

Thanks,

Marko Alonso

You could try a different scaling filter like Lanczos or Mitchell.

Cheers - #19

Ok, and hear me out.... the technical reasoning is beyond the time I have right now, but you might actually be seeing a lens artifact accentuated by the chart more than aliasing-moire. And of course it could be both things at the same time, moire and a form of fringing. Which specific chart details are you seeing the moire-aliasing? I'm definitely not saying that Komodo doesn't moire at times, but my eye sees subtle lens related issues more than clearly moire issues in the video.

I could be crazy though! :)
    -Eric

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Is that video a 100% crop of the 6K material? What's the scaling algorithm used?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

I haven't noticed any on a recent commercial shot on Komodo (not out yet, waiting for post production). Was using Arri UP, 6K HD mostly @2.8. Did you check another lens? This does seem to suffer heavily from CA.

Also there's a post about CA and Komodo. Things are rather related, search the forum. Might be due to the OLPF used in Komodo

There could be some fringing since those lenses are old, thought I was stopped down, and tried other shots stopped down even further, and tried other lenses (a canon zoom) and had similar issues. Ive heard that with RED you can have some artifacts when you are not shooting at full quality (6k, HQ in the case of the Komodo), since the image is being compressed more.

Could you send some seconds of the R3D?
    I see some optical problems (green/pink shift on the focus pull)
    I don't think it's due to a compression artefact.

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    Could you send some seconds of the R3D?
    I see some optical problems (green/pink shift on the focus pull)
    I don't think it's due to a compression artefact.
    Second that, it's hard to know the reasons without having the source file.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Yep, here it goes
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...qk?usp=sharing

Let me know what you guys find out

I could be wrong, but this just seem like extreme Longitudinal Chromatic Aberration. (LOCA) It's consistently switching between green and purple, and the shift when you rack focus is really dramatic, which is pretty much what LOCA looks like, lol. It seems like the LOCA is just bad enough to draw a lot of attention to the fine areas. The added color comes off as moire, due to quickly shifting colors, but it's not. Try it on lower contrast, finer materials, not a pure black/white test chart.

I haven't seen any moire issues with this camera, even in the most extreme situations. (filming a phone screen, fine pattern cloths, etc) It's sharp, but the new OLPF seems to be doing a great job in that regard.

That said, this is some STRONG LOCA. This is just anecdotal, but I seem to notice more LOCA on the Komodo than I have on other cameras. I don't know if this is just me noticing it due to the better resolution/color detail, color profile differences, pixel peeping, or if it's actually more significant than other cameras, but I definitely have had moments where it's VERY noticeable. It's never enough to ever actually risk making a shot unusable, but enough to bug me.