Thread: DSMC2 ULTRA-BRITE touch function fail

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 DSMC2 ULTRA-BRITE touch function fail 
    Has anyones DSMC2 ULTRA-BRITE or any of your RED monitors touch function fail? Mine is barely 2 years old and the touch function has crapped out. Monitor displays image and menus as normal just no touch function... Can control with sidekick and side handle as a work around. Anyone else experience this problem?

Sent into RED for repair and itʻs $1600 to replace the motherboard to get it working again. Just shy of $2000 all in... Which is pretty much half the cost of the monitor.
    Attached Images
    Forged Weapon Dragon 6K
    MOVI PRO and ALTA 8
    SHIBBY STYLEE
    REEL
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Instagram, Vimeo

Interesting that they said it was a motherboard issue. I would think it would be the digitizer that has an issue. You could open up the unit, check to see if you could find what touchscreen/lcd combo they are using and see if you could order a replacement off eBay. I’ve been successful at repairing a 7” touch with parts from another broken unit. I’ve also been able to source a replacement screen for my 9” (but lost out on the touch functionality)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Agcaoili View Post
    Has anyones DSMC2 ULTRA-BRITE or any of your RED monitors touch function fail? Mine is barely 2 years old and the touch function has crapped out. Monitor displays image and menus as normal just no touch function... Can control with sidekick and side handle as a work around. Anyone else experience this problem?

Sent into RED for repair and itʻs $1600 to replace the motherboard to get it working again. Just shy of $2000 all in... Which is pretty much half the cost of the monitor.
    I've seen such problem on an older Red Epic. Sometimes it was booting with touch, sometimes - not. Usually, when it lost it's touch functionality - it was also loosing buttons on the sidessd module (record and two custom buttons). Thus - if you are loosing them also, it's a board issue. If not - it's a cable/lcd issue. But - it might be different on DSMC2.
    Last edited by Alex Lubensky; 05-14-2021 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Almquist View Post
    Interesting that they said it was a motherboard issue. I would think it would be the digitizer that has an issue. You could open up the unit, check to see if you could find what touchscreen/lcd combo they are using and see if you could order a replacement off eBay. I’ve been successful at repairing a 7” touch with parts from another broken unit. I’ve also been able to source a replacement screen for my 9” (but lost out on the touch functionality)
    They couldnʻt pinpoint cause or problem so the solution is to just replace the entire board...
    Forged Weapon Dragon 6K
    MOVI PRO and ALTA 8
    SHIBBY STYLEE
    REEL
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Instagram, Vimeo

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Lubensky View Post
    I've seen such problem on an older Red Epic. Sometimes it was booting with touch, sometimes - not. Usually, when it lost it's touch functionality - it was also loosing buttons on the sidessd module (record and two custom buttons). Thus - if you are loosing them also, it's a board issue. If not - it's a cable/lcd issue. But - it might be different on DSMC2.
    Thatʻs exactly what was happening. At first it was random and we would either just unplug and replug the monitor cable or reboot the camera and it would be fine and then after a while of that it just completely stopped. Tried multipl;e cables even red branded and same issue. Thought it wouldnʻt cost that much to fix since a SmallHD 703 ultrabright mother board cost me $600. So I assumed it would be close to $1000 for a RED branded monitor. I was wrong! haha
    Forged Weapon Dragon 6K
    MOVI PRO and ALTA 8
    SHIBBY STYLEE
    REEL
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Instagram, Vimeo

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Agcaoili View Post
    Thatʻs exactly what was happening. At first it was random and we would either just unplug and replug the monitor cable or reboot the camera and it would be fine and then after a while of that it just completely stopped. Tried multipl;e cables even red branded and same issue. Thought it wouldnʻt cost that much to fix since a SmallHD 703 ultrabright mother board cost me $600. So I assumed it would be close to $1000 for a RED branded monitor. I was wrong! haha
    Have you tried another LCD? Any Red Touch monitor - because, as far as I know, the board issue is related to the board inside the camera, not the monitor board. Usually it's some kind of a short circuit somewhere in the camera internals with this kind of behavior.