Thread: Zeiss standard speed difference.

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Zeiss standard speed difference. 
    Hi,

I have noticed different versions of the standard speed.
    Can anyone teach me more about this?
    I know that the rings on the mk1 and mk2 are different but there is also another set in a different (older) housing that is half the price as the mk1 and mk2 housing.

Help me understand the difference.

Iíve attached photos.

All the best
    Attached Images

MK1 are Arri Bayonet, are are more like stills lenses. They are tiny.

What you have a photo of there is a "cinevized" set, so they have 80OD fronts on them, and focus gears.

But the actual lenses are tiny. And some of them have irises on the front threads.

In short, they are no where near as practical as MKII and MKIII's, that are proper Arri lenses with PL mounts, etc (ie same housing styles as Super Speeds, etc).

That's why MK1s are so cheap. The optics are *almost* the same, but a lot of MKI's have the older, single coatings so can flare a lot.

In general, the MKII's are way more practical, but obviously cost a lot more - and for good reason. They are REAL cinema lenses.

The MKIs are great old optics, but are way less practical/useful on a real shoot.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

I had a set of the MKI's in the past, and the focus ring is literally against the PL mount of the camera, which makes them a bit tough to work with in some camera rigging situations.

Okay cool. Thanks.

But in the newer more practical cinema housing there is also two versions? a mk1 and mk2.
    Iíve heard the way to tell the difference is on the iris and focus ring, but what is the actual difference in mechanics, optics and coating?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesper Dalgaad View Post
    Okay cool. Thanks.

But in the newer more practical cinema housing there is also two versions? a mk1 and mk2.
    I’ve heard the way to tell the difference is on the iris and focus ring, but what is the actual difference in mechanics, optics and coating?
    Almost.

The two properly housed versions are referred to as Standard Speeds MKII and MKIII - they are basically baby Ultra Primes. And once you get to MKII and MKIII they also have way more lens choices. There's a 14, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32, 40, 50, 85, 100, 135 and 180. These are real lenses. Used on TONS of features, shows, etc. They were the workhorses of the 80s, etc.

The MKIs are just toys by comparison - they only have the 16, 24, 32, 50 and 85, and they are just really small and impractical. They were designed to work "inside" a blimp I believe? A system where the noise of the camera was dampened so they could shoot sound? So they were tiny by design. But again, totally impractical. Even a vintage stills lens (say a Contax or Leica) is functionally way easier to use and mod. The MKIs are SO SMALL they need special gears made for them, etc. They cost us a fortune to mod (we have the 16 and 24), and would prob never do again. Cool lenses though. I mean they LOOK really cool, and are crazy sharp.

Also one knock on ALL Standard Primes is the can have very small image circles. I mean LESS than Super 35. They were desgned for Academy.

The 16, 20, 24 and 32 all are lenses to be worried about - the 28 is as gem, was one of the last lenses made for Standards, and has a huge image circle (this design was literally used and tweaked with the Ultraprimes, that's how good it is). Then the 50's and up are all fine, they all almost or entirely cover FF (36x24).
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv