Thread: VV lens that won’t bleed you dry

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 VV lens that won’t bleed you dry 
    Hi there everyone! I have a question I’d like to throw out in the air. I’m looking for some decently priced glass for VV (preferably with PL mount). When there is budget I’ll rent premium ones but I need some glass for my own small projects. Recently I have been close to buying DZO’s Vespids but manufacturer was unreliable and the deal didn’t go through. I have a set of 3 Zeiss CP2 35-50-85 and I think I’ll build up on that. When I was using Super 35 I stuck to either CP2 or my Red Pro Primes set when shooting my own stuff. But now there is the problem of sensor coverage with RPPs (don’t want to crop the sensor to 6k all the time). So the question is: do you have any recommendations for FF or VV lens that won’t make me sell my liver? Any thoughts or experiences on that subject?

Thanks RED fam:)

DSMC2 GEMINI + STORMTROOPER KOMODO

The kinefinity primes are very well priced for what they are.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    Monstro & Komodo

Thanks for all the info ✌️

For what its worth, i would shoot on the vespids over the cp2 100% of the time without even a mild hesitation. The vespids are so much more exciting than the cp2
    DP/Director/Producer
    www.domenicthedp.com
    www.nw-camera.com

Alexa Mini/Amira, RED Dragon, Monstro, Canon C500 Mark ii, C300ii, Sony FX9, FS7, UMP G2, Pocket 6k/4k, Sony A7s/r ii, Cooke Panchro Classics, Atlas Anamorphics, Zeiss Cp3, Angenieux EZ1/2, Celere HS set, Leica R Duclos set, DSO Trump series, Sigma Cine Primes, Contax Zeiss Superspeeds, GL Optics 18-35, 50-100, 70-200, tokina 11-16 PL, Laowa 24mm Probe, Movi Pro, Grip Vans, Skypanels, HMI's, Hive, Aputure, Litepanels, Litemats

But the communication with DZO is so bad that it is a dealbreaker :( been waiting for a set for 2 months now (they were supposed to be in May). Still no date, sparse response, no respect for the client… would like to spend my money elsewere

People love to diss on them, but the Xeen CF is basically what the Celeres were with better mechanics.
    Monstro 8K VV 025118 Lena
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms
    Zeiss Otus
    Xeen CF
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

Does anyone have a link to a good (technical) lens test of Mavo Prime VS DZOfilm Vespid VS Xeen CF?

Didn’t Phil Holland test out Vespids somewhere on reduser forum?

I was overly not impressed with the Vespid's (friend has them) and I didn't find anything particularly special about them and IMO they are too slow, but I am a sucker for fast glass. Really surprised no one has mentioned Canon CN-E Primes or Sigma FF Primes, which have both come down considerably in price over the last year. I have even seen some sets of PL adapted CN-E's on ebay floating around for fair prices. I owned both CN-E's and the Sigma Primes for a while and really liked them both but preferred the CN-E's a bit more. I also really like the cleanliness and micro-contrast of Tokina Cinema Vista lenses but they aren't found cheap or even used ofter for that matter. There are also more cine-mod FF lenses not listed such as Leica-R, Zeiss Contax, Canon FD, Nikon AIS, Zeiss Otus, Zeiss Milvus, etc. all which I would personally put above the Vespid's or CP2's but that's just me... Can't speak highly enough in regards to all of the cine-mod lenses listed above (personally own Canon FD and Leica-R's and love them) but the whole bunch I listed above punch well above their weight and performance for price. Just depends on what type of look and character you are going for.

You can check out the Salt VV Lens shootout done previously on Reduser.

https://www.reduser.net/forum/showth...-Lens-Shootout
    Last edited by Andrew Reese; 05-30-2021 at 04:27 PM.
    DSMC2 GEMINI + STORMTROOPER KOMODO