Thread: DSMC1 end of Repair

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 DSMC1 end of Repair 
    Dear All,

I hope all is well!

I may have been out of the loop, but recently discovered that RED won't repair DSMC1 Cameras anymore.

Does this mean that we should stay away from buying Scarlet-x and Epic Dragons at all costs?

For all the owners that do own DSMC1 Epic Dragons; and are in need of repair- are they out of luck?

I just want to be brought up to speed on this topic. Please let me know-

Thank you!

Fernando-

Quote Originally Posted by fernando Cordero View Post
    Dear All,

I hope all is well!

I may have been out of the loop, but recently discovered that RED won't repair DSMC1 Cameras anymore.

Does this mean that we should stay away from buying Scarlet-x and Epic Dragons at all costs?

For all the owners that do own DSMC1 Epic Dragons; and are in need of repair- are they out of luck?

I just want to be brought up to speed on this topic. Please let me know-

Thank you!

Fernando-
    There is a guy who repairs DSMC1's in the USA. He will most likely comment here. It is possible to make repairs but only by trying bits from other faulty units. Basically it is a swap in / swap out situation and maybe some clever circuit-board-fixing techniques.

You are in luck, as long as it is only minor. Otherwise, you might have to buy a whole 2nd hand unit.

I have 2 DSMC1 bodies and, so far so good, they are in good operation.

You can find really good deals on DSMC1 cameras with full kits that are totally worth it. That is, however, my opinion here. Others will further the debate.

Cheers.
    Patrick Webb,
    Director of Photography
    Heapsgood Productions, Norway.
    (www.Heapsgood.no)
    EPIC-X #06833 "Monsta" & SCARLET-X #01773 "Scratch"
    Carl Zeiss, Voigtšnder & Russian glass

Having a spare of everything seems to be a good plan. I have an old Scarlet-X that I bought new almost 10yrs ago. Picked up a spare Scarlet-X kit last year for a 1/4 of the new cost. Both are working fine currently except for the side-handle buttons that don't work on either now. I even have a 3rd side-handle, but it doesn't work either. I alternate shooting with them on projects. Also super helpful for 2-camera shoots, but then you need more glass and a 2nd OP most times.

I just sunk several thousand dollars into a Scarlet MX kit that had under 96hrs on the body at the point of sale. I'd say its def worth the price they are at now, great and cheap(er) way to get into the world of RED without fully breaking the bank. They are great cameras
    RED SCARLET MX - #01884 "REDFORD"
    SIGMA 18-35MM F1.8 LENS / Optitek Prolock Nikon Mount / RED Pro Touch LCD 5.0
    Two Panasonic AG-DVX100s

Digital T Productions 2021

I agree with everything commented above.

I've bought my Scarlet MX here in 2017 I guess, it had something like 500 hours on it, and have made another 1500 hours till today. Everything functioning flawlessly, not a single redmag died on me. It's just the V-Mount batteries that being re-packed, and accessories that change over time.

Had to open my Scarlet MX at the local camera service at the moment to troubleshoot another Epic M that I've purchased a couple month ago. Tech said that my Scarlet is like a baby, fresh and mint.

Otherwise, I was not as lucky with Epic. It had some short circuits on the boards, general cooling issues due to the previous owner hands out from the ass (he has changed thermopaste for some unobvious reason). Also the camera was hit by a splash of salt water. Thus, I have some chips to be changed (lucky enough some generic ones, not Red specific), and hope for a working camera in some days.

Probably I'll make a post for things to look at when you're buying a used DSMC1 body nowadays.

This is why I abandoned any ideas about getting a DSMC1. Stuff is just getting too far towards 8K and with cameras like the Blackmagic Pocket 6K out there for the meantime, it just makes more sense to move on. Now, I would have considered a used Epic-W Helium 8K but Iíve only ever heard problems about sensor issues and thatís discontinued as well too so for the money thereís the Blackmagic Ursa 12K and now a Sony Alpha 1 for stable 8K and word is that more 8K cameras are on the way, including more video/digital cinema cameras.

If I had the money, of course I would consider another RED camera as our RED One MX was (and still is) fantastic but we have to stay realistic with our next camera choice as itís going to have to be 8K at minimum and with more mirrorless cameras getting RAW/Prores RAW/BRAW support thatís actually really good and increasing the viability of those cameras, itís coming to a point where the industry will have to start accepting more cameras on their lists of approved cameras.

If there were a change for RED to implement on DSMC3, it should be to use more common parts in their design and extend support farther than they ever have so we donít have so much viability overlap between RED camera generations.

It's disappointing that RED EOL'ed these cameras prematurely, in my opinion. I just had one of my genius friends pull mine apart and clean it for me and give it a fan adjustment. Just tested it tonight, and it's working great, but it was pretty nerve-wracking when I thought I had a very expensive doorstop on my hands. The upgrade path was not a very appealing deal, and forcing owners who paid a lot of money for these EPIC-M cameras onto the upgrade path, or else....wasn't very a very customer-service oriented move, considering the price of the camera and its delayed delivery.
    b
    I'm grateful to my friend for resurrecting it but not terribly happy with RED that their response was to invite me to upgrade. I didn't want to pay thousands and thousands of dollars on an upgrade, I wanted my EPIC-M to work. And now it does, but no thanks to RED.

Anyone who's had experience getting a DSMC1 model repaired through a third party - can you link me to who to talk to? Im based in Australia but can ship to the US if someone is confident they can repair my cam for a decent price.

There is a risk in having multiple copies of an ageing camera type for purpose of eventually making one out of several when something breaks. It may be an achilles-heel component which dies in all of them.

I have a 2011 Scarlet MX and the fact that it is not repairable by RED is not a knock for me. I mix it in with Komodo, Helium and Monstro just fine. When it finally quits I will buy another newer camera, but not before. Camera companies buy components. They build cameras from those components. Those components are only available as long at the manufacturer makes them. That's it. Try finding an RCA 6L6 vacuum tube if you need one. RCA does not make them anymore. Sony introduced the F3 in 2010 and discontinued it in 2012. You might be able to get one repaired, but I doubt it. A Scarlet MX shoots compressed raw. Still. .r3d! Newer color science means it is better now than when it was new. I don't see how there is anything to complain about, but that's just me..... YMMV.
    Monstro 8K VV 025118 Lena
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms
    Zeiss Otus
    Xeen CF
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.