Thread: Shotgun Mic

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    For Corporate work, real nice thing about the 416 is it has a "sweet spot" on male voice for interviews/voiceovers in office type of spaces, lot of male voice actors use it. And since multiple people will be using the mic, 416 is very common so people will understand it(i.e. each mic has it's own sweet spots and personality ... if only one person is going to use a mic ... then the non-416 are perhaps better choices). As you know though, there is no perfect single mic ... my mic box even has 3 old (where under 200$ in the 80's) mic's that I find i sometimes need to use.

Mark Phelan's comment "Hmmm, might see a problem here. I usually don't use a shotgun indoors because ..." is also very interesting, I tend to use a bunch of non shotgun mic's where i'm "suppose" to use my shotgun mic(i.e. i often have a large neumamn condenser going[for art the noises of brushes and stuff ... u do want], I even have a h4n running, and/or have my old mic's just going as backup in case I screw up[this happens often when you don't have a dedicated sound guy] ).

I am so sorry guys I was kidding when I said that I was mounting it to the camera, I have a c stand and a boom pole all hooked up. I guess not too many redditors here (reddit.com) /s = sarcasm. Yes I am shooting indoors. I did go with the 416. I am horrible at audio...but I check out sites all the time to learn about techniques, and use them. I use Sanken COS-11d's (my Lav mics) and learned about Vampire mics. Should I be worried about phantom power with the scarlet?

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
    For Corporate work, real nice thing about the 416 is it has a "sweet spot" on male voice for interviews/voiceovers in office type of spaces, lot of male voice actors use it.
    I know of some big-time voice-over announcers who absolutely hate the 416 as a VO mike. Read what Corey Burton has to say about it at this link. I don't think it's quite as bad as he says, but I do agree, it's a very colored, bass-heavy sound that may not enhance certain kinds of voices. But it is widely used on a lot of trailers and promos, especially for TV. I think the Neumann U87 is a lot more neutral, but that's a specialized studio-only mike used for music, not film.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Bishop
    I use Sanken COS-11d's (my Lav mics) and learned about Vampire mics. Should I be worried about phantom power with the scarlet?
    I think you mean vampire mounts. Those can work, but there are a lot of different techniques for wiring up people with lavs and hiding them, and not all of these will work in all situations.

I personally think an external mixer is a better way to go than using the phantom preamps in any camera. Even something like a little Sound Devices 302 has far better headroom and lower noise levels.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

I think you mean vampire mounts.

Yea i meant mounts...it was late and I was doing a bit of shopping.
    $1,300 for the Sound Device? What does this really get me? I can buy it, but I want to make sure its something that will make a noticeable difference in the audio.

Wondering where people on this thread stand on the question 9 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Stracke View Post
    Wondering where people on this thread stand on the question 9 years later.
    I have about 40 microphones at this point and I'd say the 416 is still the workhorse of the industry.

There's been some new companies and new mics over the years, but that remains sort of a defacto standard still to this day. In terms of investment, it's easily been my most used mic in that lot.

Seems most mics I'm looking at nowadays are to fill rather specific use cases outside of where a traditional shotgun would be ideal, but that's a whole other topic.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks Phil -- very helpful!

NTG-3 is more full-bodied and more liquid sounding. MKH-416 is more thinner sounding and brighter, which gives the impression of a more detailed sound. NTG-3 is better in my opinion, especially if you listen to it for a long time.

Schoeps CMC641 for VO / interviews. Sanken CS3e shotgun for isolating sources in a crowd, even in many interiors. Great clean sound, little off-axis coloring. No rear pickup like the 5U has.
    For a budget VO/Interview options, look at other hypercardioids including the Octava MC-012 over a shotgun.

Thanks everyone. Do others feel the NTG3 or the Sanken compare favorably to the 416?

Also interested if anyone's used the Sennheiser 418 as a camera-mounted shotgun for the stereo imaging?