Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Patents and Trademarks

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #1 Patents and Trademarks 
    We love 3rd parties. We have great relationships with a lot of great companies that make tons of great products that help our customers work with our system. They add value to the program. It is good for our community. Our position will never change on this one. In fact.. if you look around there are probably more companies making accessories for RED than any other professional camera out there, and we love that. We even open our engineers to 3rd parties and test their products against potential electro-mechanical issues. Companies such as Element Technica, Anton Bauer, 3ality, Cameron-Pace, Oconnor , Action Products, Gates, Optitek, AirSeaLand, Allstar, Maxx Digital, Dozens of 3rd party mount manufactures, and many many more.

What we don't like is 3rd parties "borrowing" our designs or creating products that interfere with how our camera works.

Patents and Trademarks are part of RED's DNA. We defend them vigorously. Developing RED products requires inventing technology or generating designs that didn't exist, many of which we were awarded patents. We are very proud of that.. and not only the hard stuff.. but even the simple ideas. We also license various pieces of technology, and we are glad to pay those rightful inventors royalties. It is the right thing to do. Stealing innovation or design is not something that we believe in, especially serving an industry who's backbone is built from creation.

Anything in particular that motivated this post? Something we should know?

Well said. Golf clap.

Nick

Well said.

So are you guys going to sue viewfactor as well?

Wooden Camera's A-Lock was available before RED's, as far as I know. If that's the case, they couldn't have known that they weren't allowed to make it, right?

This will be an interesting one to watch... maybe I'll put on my RED sunglasses

Full complaint and patent diagrams here:

http://cinescopophilia.com/red-sues-wooden-camera/
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Well said Jarred and rightly so. I can't imagine Red would take any interest in pursuing a genuine creative 3rd party manufacturer. I don't know the facts but I believe you are doing the right thing.

Wooden camera allowed me to use my epic when red's solutions were not available, the same for viewfactor. I understand that you need to defend your patents but at the time, I needed a camera that worked in a production environment and WC and viewfactor stepped up to the plate with great products and service.
    On the other hand, there's innovation and there's copying and I can't condone stealing of intellectual property.
    I'm a big fan of wooden camera as i am of red and I hope that you both can come to an agreement. The real problem is the crappy ripoff products being made in China and India but that's almost impossible to prosecute.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Meeks View Post
    So are you guys going to sue viewfactor as well?

Wooden Camera's A-Lock was available before RED's, as far as I know. If that's the case, they couldn't have known that they weren't allowed to make it, right?

This will be an interesting one to watch... maybe I'll put on my RED sunglasses
    Wait third party manufacturers are supported...yet Red sues 'em? Makes no sense to me. They have a huge notice on their website that says they are not affiliated with Red in any way....

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Kelly View Post
    Wooden camera allowed me to use my epic when red's solutions were not available, the same for viewfactor. I understand that you need to defend your patents but at the time, I needed a camera that worked in a production environment and WC and viewfactor stepped up to the plate with great products and service.
    Exactly. And quick service at that. Not only were some of the products not available from RED to begin with, but RED's shipping time for orders is inconveniently slow in most cases. Wooden Camera got me the parts that I needed within a couple of days.